• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coco gets a set of Trucklite LED headlights

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I forgot to add that Coco has a Centech harness. Power is ran through the aftermarket headlamp switch, no headlight relay mod. I wonder if they'll be even brighter if I put them on straight power from the battery with a relay?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I forgot to add that Coco has a Centech harness. Power is ran through the aftermarket headlamp switch, no headlight relay mod. I wonder if they'll be even brighter if I put them on straight power from the battery with a relay?

Maybe. Or maybe not.
Although I still recommend the relays (just because), I've found that a new modern harness can usually get more power to the lamps than the old original wiring ever could.

It might not be quite as bright as it would with relays, but I don't think there's going to be as much difference as there would be had you been trying this on the original wiring.
Nothing scientific mind you. Just from my own limited casual observations after new harnesses went in with the existing lights remaining.

Of course, your results may vary, as we like to say. ;)
And it would also depend on how good that switch is you're using and how much of a wire run there is to the lights.
But for now, I'd say you've got some pretty darn bright lights!

Paul

08ag

Loc.
Rockwall TX
VERY SWEET! will be purchasing a set of those. Will the headlight switch need upgrading with the led's?

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Just curious about fitment... I looks as if they're a slightly smaller diameter than the H4's and protrude out from the trim ring quite a bit. Any chance of getting a profile close-up to see how much they stick out, or is it my eyes playing tricks? Overall, great looking with a MAJOR light improvement. Well done.

Also, are those led running lights/turn signals on the divider bar?

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dang it, I wish you hadn't posted those pictures up here.

Nice upgrade though.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
DUSTY...Your write up was spot on...The difference is night and day..What is the amperage draw in Comparison to the old halogen? I have been changing out the lighting in my Bar to LED'S. The Power Compay came out and replaced our meter.....thinking that was the reason for the drop in usage....LED bulbs are GREATTT....ps..you should have that hang nail looked at...lol

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very nice Dusty! Are those the same style of lights that Heus33 has for sale?

I'm not Dusty (or Heus) but I'll give the quick answer and let them fill in any details.
No, they're not the same thing. Dusty's are off-the-shelf LED's (light emitting diodes) and Tom's are custom-made HID's (high-intensity discharge) lights like you would see on most higher end optioned cars these days.
Both put out some serious light. Don't know the lumens, or even lumens-per-watt of each one, but they both look pretty good. Especially where the all-important beam-pattern is concerned. Which is an area that way too many lights fall way too short in.

I think his HID's are 35 watt output (55 is optional, but not generally for street use) and Dusty's LED's should be about 30 watt equivalent.

Both pretty bitchin' options.

Paul

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
Just curious about fitment... I looks as if they're a slightly smaller diameter than the H4's and protrude out from the trim ring quite a bit. Any chance of getting a profile close-up to see how much they stick out, or is it my eyes playing tricks? Overall, great looking with a MAJOR light improvement. Well done.

i read that the lens sticks out past the ring about an inch or close to it.

Cobra11

Contributor
Loc.
West Hollywood, CA
how did you do all your other led conversions for the side markers and tail lights? do it yourself or a vendor? thanks

great write up also, those look incredible. i'm very curious to see how these would compare to the JW SPEAKER model. i was going to get those until i saw this. these are much much much cheaper so if anyone has experience please share. thanks

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru

They fit very snugly into the bucket and retaining ring. They don't rattle around in there at all. They do protrude a bit past the trim ring though. The face on these is more or less flat, not rounded like a typical H4 bulb. My guess is that at the center they stick out about the same, but the Trucklite is flat across so it doesn't taper back toward the outer edges. I guess it looks a little funky sticking out. No big deal for me though. Here's the best side shot I could get with my iPhone. My front turn signals are still old school. Need to find a good LED conversion for those.

Attachments

• IMG_1629.jpg
    IMG_1629.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 288
OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
how did you do all your other led conversions for the side markers and tail lights? do it yourself or a vendor? thanks

great write up also, those look incredible. i'm very curious to see how these would compare to the JW SPEAKER model. i was going to get those until i saw this. these are much much much cheaper so if anyone has experience please share. thanks

I'm just using 3/4" round LED's for the side markers, and the oval shaped LED truck/trailer stop/turn/tail lamps. We have the 3/4" ones at my work. The taillights I got at a truck supply place. I'm running fiberglass front and rear fenders so it was easy to just drill/cut to fit.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304217851.982951.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304217851.982951.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 189
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304217887.136153.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304217887.136153.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 171

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Thanks Dusty,

Can't tell if I love or hate the "bug eye" look... Something to ponder.

But what are the small looking bulbs in the bar in the middle of the light? Is it my eyes playing tricks again?

grs44310

Loc.
Akron, Ohio
Driver side grill running light is burned out btw. ;D

Really digging the LED lights but I have a lot of stuff to fix before I drop 6 bills on head lights. MAybe the price will come down by the time I'm ready for those...

Just a comment on the LED and relay questions - LEDs draw so little current compared to an H4 that a standard harness is more than capable of supplying enough current for full brightness without a relay. I haven't hooked a meter up to check yet but I would be willing to bet that an fully equiped LED truck uses less amps than one H4 on the high beam setting.

Greg

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I'm not Dusty (or Heus) but I'll give the quick answer and let them fill in any details.
No, they're not the same thing. Dusty's are off-the-shelf LED's (light emitting diodes) and Tom's are custom-made HID's (high-intensity discharge) lights like you would see on most higher end optioned cars these days.
Both put out some serious light. Don't know the lumens, or even lumens-per-watt of each one, but they both look pretty good. Especially where the all-important beam-pattern is concerned. Which is an area that way too many lights fall way too short in.

I think his HID's are 35 watt output (55 is optional, but not generally for street use) and Dusty's LED's should be about 30 watt equivalent.

Both pretty bitchin' options.

Paul

Paul actually did a really good job of comparing the two.

They are apples and oranges in terms of how they produce light but the end result appears to be similar.

I think it would come down to personal preference and price.

I dont want to hijack this thread so see my thread below (in my sig) for more info.