• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coco gets a set of Trucklite LED headlights

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I dont want to hijack this thread so see my thread below (in my sig) for more info.

No worries Heus33. I didn't post this thread to pimp these lights, its here for educational purposes. A discussion of comparison with other options is fully appropriate in this thread. I had not looked at the lights you have, frankly I was too enchanted by those three little letters LED to look at any other type of headlight setup LOL ;D

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Thanks Dusty,

Can't tell if I love or hate the "bug eye" look... Something to ponder.

But what are the small looking bulbs in the bar in the middle of the light? Is it my eyes playing tricks again?

All of the LED diodes are housed within that bar, the point back toward the reflectors above and below it. But with all the optics going on its hard to see in the photos what's going on in there.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Driver side grill running light is burned out btw. ;D

You guys are tough critics. If I'd known every photo was a game of "what can I spot and point out to make this guy look like an idiot" I'd have gone over the Bronco more closely before posting photos. I'd better not back out and post any wider shots of it, you guys would have a field day!

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
You guys are tough critics. If I'd known every photo was a game of "what can I spot and point out to make this guy look like an idiot" I'd have gone over the Bronco more closely before posting photos. I'd better not back out and post any wider shots of it, you guys would have a field day!

That's kind of what I was thinking....Geezzzz
Thanks for all the work to show us a really cool project.
There's a Glass House story here somewhere......................:-*

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Dusty,
I'm in for a Trucklite set and th Rigid Industries Dually light deal.
Where do I place my order?

Last edited:

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I was almost going to grab a set of D2s at the 4WPW show last week. It is a good thing I waited on them. The Duallys are a little cheaper than the D2s.
This is a great deal!
Thanks

Last edited:

grs44310

Loc.
Akron, Ohio

Sorry if I hurt your feelings Dusty. For the record I wasn't trying to make you look like an idiot or be critical but add a little humor, hence the smiley face. You took a lot of time to create your technical write up and I appreciate the effort you put into it.

My truck isn't perfect and I'm sure you can pick out hundereds of things that need attention too.

Can we all have a beer now and get back to discussing the LED lights? :)

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Dusty, Thanks for taking the time to give an great set of befor/after lighting pictures. That is what makes the differnce! I really like how well the light pattern is filled on low beam. High beam doesn't seem to make as much of a difference, but still better. The big question is how this compares to my Euro version of Hella headlights ;)

Agree that it would be great if you could provide the current draw for each type.

For the relay argument I would guess that the LEDs would also be less affected by a small reduction in voltage as compared to incandecent lights. That can easily be shown by a "hear is the headlight pattern with the motor off/on" which is about 10% or more difference in voltage to the headlight.

Dan

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From the Truck-Lite website:

Light Source:
10 Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)
Designed at 12.8v
4.5a (High Beam), 2.5a (Low Beam)

So, based on the same 12.8 volt rating, a standard 55/60 H4 bulb would pull 4.3 amps on low, and 4.7 amps on high beam.
Variations on rated bulb wattage would change that of course, but the 55-low/60-high is the industry DOT standard.

Doesn't give you exactly the lumen output of what you would see with the engine on vs off of course, but it should show the basic differences, and similarities, in current draw.
Not much on high, but low is definitely a lower draw with the LED.
And every vehicle might be different anyway, depending on how the charging system was functioning. Just figure 14.5 volts with the engine running, and 12.5 volts with the engine recently turned off and you can easily figure current usage. If not actual visual output.
Someone will probably know that though.

Paul

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
LED's have come a long way in the last few years! They used to not put out any beam lighting but rather just a glow. Them are pretty impressive, but for the cost ill stick with my walmart halogens. I hope they will be less than half that price in a few years.

So how many times has oncoming traffic flashed you (i mean there high beams you guys)(i mean there headlights)(i mean there.....whatever)? Have they been noticeably more annoying to oncoming traffic?

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
DUSTY, Awesome writeup. the light pattern looks like my Navigator's HID OEM's. I will have to wait since I already have HID's from my old Ram and money needs to be spent on other EB needs ;D

BTW, I used Poison Spider rocker protectors and gas tank skid plate on my 02 Wrangler, wish they where available for my 75 EB!:cool: