• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Confused about setting rear pinion... help please

jimmy18thing

I just installed a new lift, also I have cut off my old perches (they were shot) got new ones to weld in, I am just a little confused on how I am supposed to determine the angle. I have searched on here and I am just not quite grasping it. I thought it was supposed to be basically parallel with the output shaft on the transfer case, but I think it is supposed to be different due to the double U-joint on the upper half of the driveline... Help please....

4lofun

the pinion angle should be same as driveshaft angle with a double carden cv shaft. 15 degrees i believe is the area

77BRONKOTN

Assemble new perches onto the axle and tighten things up. I like to have the vehicle weight pushing down when doing this.

Hook up driveshaft.

Measure drive shaft angle.

Measure pinon angle.

Subtract the two.

You want to be around -2 degrees pinon angle. The pinon will raise during acceleration. Anymore angle or less you will have vibration.

Tack weld the perches when your close.

Take apart and weld it up.

Recheck things once its back together.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
Since not all springs sit the same, the best thing to do is put the axle under with the perches loose, and mock things up with the weight of the EB on the axle. Move the pinion up or down so the pinion is pointing at the t-case yoke. driveshaft in line with pinion or a couple of deg down is ok.

Rule of thumb on lifted broncos is when welding on perches, 20-22 deg up on pinion angle with perches level. a good start when tacking them on on the bench.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Since not all springs sit the same, the best thing to do is put the axle under with the perches loose, and mock things up with the weight of the EB on the axle. Move the pinion up or down so the pinion is pointing at the t-case yoke. driveshaft in line with pinion or a couple of deg down is ok.

Exactly. Easiest and most effective way.