• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Converting To C4 Question

EveBYoung

Loc.
Dallas, Texas
I searched a little but didn't exactly find this answered (probably because the answer is obvious and I just don't know it. I apologize in advance for being a complete newbie :p )
When you swap out a rebuilt 3 speed manual transmission on the floor for a c4 automatic, i understand that you have to replace the shifter as well (for instance with an art carr shifter from wildhorses). but what happens to the seperate 4 wheel drive shifter that's also in the floor?
here's a pic of how it's set up now
a=854341023_854341023

Sorry I don't what I'm doing :-[ . haha
Thanks!

*not sure if the image worked. here's the url
http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=743888023/PictureID=18089359023/a=854341023_854341023

OP
OP
E

EveBYoung

Loc.
Dallas, Texas
So the c4 shifter will have to be installed as far to the left as the manual is right now? I was hoping I could center it more when I replaced it.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The auto shifters are cable operated. You can mount them where ever you like. If you have a 3speed floor shift, then your going to want to plug that huge hole on the side of the tunnel.

brewchief

When I had my c-4 I used an Art Carr shifter and simply mounted it between the seats, I had/have the same plastic buckets you have.

AZ69EB

You can also put the shifter on the column. This is typically more costly, but has a cleaner look.

I currently have a rachet shifter from B&M. Not the best unit for 4x4's, but I found it on Craigslist for cheap.

Another good option is Lokar products. Some of the Lokar's have linkage shifters available. They also has other shifters that look like a manual shifter if you are going after that look. They build high quality products.

Decide what look you want and go for it. Bronco's are the owners art pieces. Everyone is a little different, just like all of us.

OP
OP
E

EveBYoung

Loc.
Dallas, Texas
What parts would be needed to go from 3 speed on the floor to auto on the steering column (apart from the parts needed for the conversion regardless of location)?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
What parts would be needed to go from 3 speed on the floor to auto on the steering column (apart from the parts needed for the conversion regardless of location)?

Auto column and shaft to connect to steering box, linkage to connect column lever to trans lever. There may be some wiring involved depending on the year of your Bronco and what the donor column comes from.