• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cop came to my house today about the bronco

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
What was funny about the cop today is that I live in a townhouse and my bronco is parked in a place where it can't be seen from the street. So I'm not sure how he knew it was there. But, now that he knows me, he'll probably keep his eye on it a little more. At least that's what my other cop friend said.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Better watch out Obscure,Bronco thiefs pose as Lawmen carring a Nightstick....;)

joe

Bronco Guru
OK I'll bite... Amber is amber...how can you have the wrong color amber? ;D

I've been waiting to get pulled over for no parking lights to the front when my head lights are on and that they are clear (white) lights to boot.

i had red LED bulbs behind the stock amber lenses.

i agreed with him, no doubt.

he just gave me a verbal warning, said just change them, so i did

nice guy, just wanted to check out the Bronco.

funny thing was he didn't say shit about the beadlocks or the heim joints on the steering linkage. both are illegal in Illinois.

and he looked upside and down over the whole rig,

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I've been pulled over in my old mustang before, just so the cop could check it out, but never in the bronco. I've always had pretty good luck with cops either liking what I was driving, or appreciating the political stuff I have on the back.
I have zero problem with cops BSing with people in a friendly way. They get a bad rap sometimes, so it behooves them to make a friendly impression on their community.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
X2 Half Cab! Pretty Funny.

I understand the inconvenience of getting pulled over could be an inconvenience but I would be happy to talk with them about the truck. Hopefully I would put me in good standing with them. Not a bad thing if you ask me. They will be watchin the truck as well a bit closer so that would be good as well. ;D

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
Wish my encounter would have been inconvenient. Coming home from work, tired and freezing after 11 hrs. working on water tractor tanks in mid January, 49 in a 45, 2 houses away from mine at 2:30 in the morning. I said I was sorry but the speedo wasn't real accurate due to it's age, kind of bounced around a little. He handed me a ticket and told me to get it fixed:mad: I asked him how long he had been on the force and he said 2 months%) I said that explains a lot and pulled into my driveway.

Jim W.

justjeff51

Loc.
Metropolis
Highschool Bronco

Back in Highschool I had 69. I had a 2 1/2 in lift but the normal sized shocks. I ripped on in half jumping the Bronco and giving it a real thrashing out on a local trail in the river bottoms. I took the shock off an realized while driving around town I could get it bouncing a little bit when I took off. One day at lunch with some of my school friends, I got it bouncing and really reved it and popped the clutch. She pulled a wheelie all the way across an intersection. I was immediatly pulled over by one of the city cops that witnessed the act. I was a scared High School kid thinking I was in so much trouble but when the cop got up to us he said that was the coolest thing he had ever seen. He let us go but said try to keep all the wheels on the ground.

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Life's too short not to have time to jaw with someone about shared interests, sure there are times when it's inconvienient but why not just be a part of the human race and give someone some of your time. I would be happy that I wasn't getting a ticket and probably talk his ear off, there's many times I should have received one and got away with it consider it payback for the one that got away.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Life's too short not to have time to jaw with someone about shared interests, sure there are times when it's inconvienient but why not just be a part of the human race and give someone some of your time. I would be happy that I wasn't getting a ticket and probably talk his ear off, there's many times I should have received one and got away with it consider it payback for the one that got away.

AMEN. Well said!

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Not trying to be argumentative here, and not trying to hijack, but I don't see why it makes any difference who they're getting paid by, or what their job description is. I can say the same thing about the CEO that is getting paid while he talks to his buddy about his sunday golf outing or the shelf stocker that is texting when he is supposed to be stocking shelves. Cops are humans just like everyone else, and NO ONE works every minute they get paid for, NO ONE.

again how would he react if i waved him down on his way home to talk about his neat shogun or ar in the rack. I know everyone goofs off but you dont use your power to detain someone out of the blue. That CEO or stack boy is wasting someone elses time but that someone has the oportunity to go on their merry way if they desire. You don't have that option when the guy pulls you over.

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
I know several cops and there is an invaluable thing called "community relations" that is part of their job. Besides, like most workers, they do get to take breaks.

Thanks Mark! I didn't really answer him on that one! :p

Yeah, I was wondering about that myself.

Pulling a man or woman over to chat about his or her truck is very poor community relations. Chatting in a parking lot is one thing but stopping a person from getting somewhere is annoying and probably illegal.

I don't particularly appreciate it when it happens to me, either. Do your job and leave me the f*ck alone.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
again how would he react if i waved him down on his way home to talk about his neat shogun or ar in the rack. I know everyone goofs off but you dont use your power to detain someone out of the blue. That CEO or stack boy is wasting someone elses time but that someone has the oportunity to go on their merry way if they desire. You don't have that option when the guy pulls you over.

I hear ya, but like I said before I was responding to the broad statement that I quoted. If this happens to you again and you feel the need to do so, then call that officers dept and talk to their supervisor. You don't have to file a formal complaint, but could if you wanted to.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Sounds like the OP and cop had a perfectly harmless exchange about a cool vehicle. Talking to people is part of the job as well as getting to know people in the neighborhood. If the OP is cool with it that's fine. I understand that some people would rather never see a cop in thier life time for any reason. I personally get a little rearend pucker till I know what they are up to. Now, if the cop used lights and siren to pull him over and then B.S. that is wrong. I know a guy that used to be a county sherrif deputy and he said 9 times out of 10 that if he pulled someone over for speeding or minor driving violation he would just give them a warning. If they got all hostile and stupid then it was the biggest fine he could hand out. I guess I would rather have them keeping and eye out for me than keeping an eye on me.

ghost66

Bronco Guru
I've not always been given a ticket, sometimes I get warnings. Attitude certainly has a lot to do with things. If you're rude or act like the cop is wasting your time your definately getting a ticket and he might take a few more minutes filling things out or looking around your truck, if you're cordial sometimes you get a warning. If you're an ass you deserve not only a ticket but cavity search :eek:.
Don't get me wrong I've had issues with cop's at times as we'll but I've also had issues with mechanics, teachers, and every other type of person at sometime in my life. There are good and bad everywhere you look but if all you look for is bad that's all you'll find.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
There are good and bad everywhere you look but if all you look for is bad that's all you'll find.

Well said... Ya know, people get flamed immediately when they try to bitch about a vendor not giving them adequate service. The responses always boil down to "what have you done to try and make it right" or "give the vendor an opportunity to make it right". If the cop who pulls over, the waitress that gives you terrible service, the dentist that starts drilling before you're numb, etc doesn't know that you found their performance to be substandard, then how will they ever correct it?

Obviously, in some cases the side of the road may not be the place to let the friendly officer know that he's doing a substandard job (or whatever your complaint may be), which is why I mentioned the possible solution in my last post. However, there are some people, no matter what their profession is, that aren't going to change their behavior no matter what so take it for what it's worth.