• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Custom Speaker Installation

Oakland Bronco

Loc.
San Francisco, CA
The doors are cut on my '73. I had a pair of 6x9s there, and another pair in the rear quarter panels. No custom fiberglass work. The Bronco is currently going through a restoration following a fire. The new stereo components haven't gone in yet, so no pics, but I will be running a Kenwood KDC-X796 head unit, two pairs of Rockford Fosgate R1693 6x9s, and an 8" powered flat sub under the passenger seat.

Forum member JGZ makes fiberglass door panels that feature speaker pods. You can find those at Bronco Hut. He also makes fiberglass rear quarter panels, and I'll bet he could build you a pair with speaker pods there as well. You can search the forum for threads he has started with pics of his work. Really nice stuff.

I did a bunch of product research at Crutchfield, as there were a lot of reviews from Jeep, truck, and SUV owners.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
My biggest problem right now is where to put the amplifiers.

How many speakers are you running? Couldn't you put it at the bottom of a center console?

Could even layer two amps and vent them. Although given the limited space available probably best to get one amp to do it all. JL has some nice amps, and look like they'd fit in a 8" center console.

Thunder26

Please find something other then JL.... Nothing wrong with them but dang they are expensive for just the name...

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
I'm also thinking about using one of these: http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=35_170&products_id=2064

Although I would buy just the blank panel and put my own amp and speakers in. You can fit a set of 5.25" components up there and it's nice that you don't have to cut the doors or have the time/expense of kick pods.

Then a center console with an amp and a 10" or 12" sub and still some storage space on top and 2 drink holders in the front. You could pretty easily mount a 12" sub and have ~1cf sealed enclosure plus some storage. That would make a slick setup and not involve a lot of custom fabrication.

A pair of 5.25s and a single 12" could be powered with a single amp. Anything more than that gets a little silly in a car as loud as a Bronco. Come to think of it, even that setup is probably a bit much :)

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
I'm using older jl slash v2 amps to run Focal seperates and a jl sub. 1 450/4 and 1 250/1. The 450 won't fit anywhere but under the pass seat.

Sub will be glassed in the rear quarter, one set of seperates in the kick panels and one in front of the wheel wells.

Quality wise it's overkill, and I'll never be able to hear the quality in a noisy Bronco, but I have it all from a previous install.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
imthewiz2

imthewiz2

Loc.
Chicago
Sounds Extreme is willing to reproduce these molds if there is enough interest. Check out their Facebook page, the owner Steve is a great guy and knows how to get the best sound out of his systems, his recommendation was the front side kickers and the back panels by the wheels. This way they take up no space and look seamless. I will post more pictures when my Bronco is finished.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Sounds Extreme is willing to reproduce these molds if there is enough interest. Check out their Facebook page, the owner Steve is a great guy and knows how to get the best sound out of his systems, his recommendation was the front side kickers and the back panels by the wheels. This way they take up no space and look seamless. I will post more pictures when my Bronco is finished.

What did you end up going with?

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
I'm also thinking about using one of these: http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=35_170&products_id=2064

Although I would buy just the blank panel and put my own amp and speakers in. You can fit a set of 5.25" components up there and it's nice that you don't have to cut the doors or have the time/expense of kick pods.

Then a center console with an amp and a 10" or 12" sub and still some storage space on top and 2 drink holders in the front. You could pretty easily mount a 12" sub and have ~1cf sealed enclosure plus some storage. That would make a slick setup and not involve a lot of custom fabrication.

A pair of 5.25s and a single 12" could be powered with a single amp. Anything more than that gets a little silly in a car as loud as a Bronco. Come to think of it, even that setup is probably a bit much :)

order it with the holes cut in it if you can.... its not a fun task.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Great idea thanks! I seem to have misplaced my 5.25" hole saw so that'll make things easier.

Do you have one I'm assuming? How do you like it? Any pics?

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
Great idea thanks! I seem to have misplaced my 5.25" hole saw so that'll make things easier.

Do you have one I'm assuming? How do you like it? Any pics?

I have pics just unable to post them as it not my truck and the owner has not got it back yet. I assist a friend who works on broncos locally.

I bought one for one of my builds either my sons or mine still not 100% sure.

The owner put speakers in them as well as led dome lights and powder coated it the same as the tuffy console. looks really good.