• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

CV Joint question

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Took the new tires out for a spin to see how well they spun balanced. Drove at most 5 miles with no noise to suddenly knowing I had a driveshaft problem. Never Have I ever had a driveline joint of any sort go so quickly. Heck I often run them for long periods of time after I notice problems. I disassembled it to make sure the centering pin wasn't damaged as it went so fast and is was clearly the only issue, the u-joints were still tight. I found something I wasn't suspecting. There were the remnants of a sheet metal cup on the pin that I just don't remember being there but it has been over 10 years since I had one apart. Looking at the pictures and cut away details I assume this was a cheap "fix" as I don't find it or a part number anywhere.. Problem is I took it in over 10 years ago and paid for new parts and to have it balanced, so this cup shouldn't have been there, unless it is a sacrificial sleeve so the centering pin isn't damaged. I just don't remember ever noticing such a thing.

1. Is there a place this can be bought or was this just someone's fix of an old POS yoke and charging me for a new one?

2. I need a part number for the tall rubber seal that covers the centering joint and attaches to the rear of the CV joint. I cant kind it anywhere either. I didn't notice under all the dirt that he had tack welded the base of this seal to the yoke. so it will be hard to get the old one to center up and stay put.

Basically I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I will likely buy a new weld on yoke and build it myself so I know its together right. Or just go buy a new one.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
CV’s are necessary evil, I despise them and have never repaired one that lasted long. If I have problems with one it gets replaced. Yes they are expensive, but I’ve found they last longer and it’s done, have never had a winner repairing them.

I’ve also found that Tom Woods and/or wild horses can usually build and ship a new shaft for less than what many local shops are charging to weld on a new CV and balance your old shaft. I’m fortunate, I have a great Local Shop that I’ve used for 25 years.

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
x2 what Yeller said. Go new.

Check out WH or Tom's Bronco Parts or go with Tom Wood's Driveshafts. Tom Woods has free shippping one way and an outstanding reputation.

Best of luck, they can sound great one minute and the next they sound like they've never been greased and have a 100K miles on them.