• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

daily drivers

chuck1022

Contributor
I drive mine everyday. I live in Az.

Our summers are hot ...no ac
Winters are cold (for us) poor working heat and no top.

Mpg-never bothered to check

I probably drive 6000 miles a year

Love everyday I drive it.

FordFarmer

Contributor
I did it for close to three years in my ‘71. No power steering, no power brakes, three on the tree and two glass packs that probably haven’t had glass in them for 30 years. I like to measure my travel in time and it was 20 to 30 minutes each way to work depending on traffic. I did put A/C in at the beginning of my first summer with the Bronco so that helped. It would get old once in a while, especially on the highway at 65 mph with my obnoxiously loud exhaust. Usually about the time I was fed up with it a cop would bum rush me from behind just to take a look and give me a thumbs up, or someone at work would leave a note on my windshield just to tell me how nice my truck was. Then of course there were the frequent fill ups, usually couldn’t get out of the station without at least one comment or conversation about it. That stuff always recharged my batteries and I’d remember just how cool it was to be driving my Bronco. Old girl never broke down on me, though I did push my luck and run out of gas once. She’s retired from DD status now but I don’t regret doing it. Probably ran better back then than it does now. I say do it. You may burn out but you can deal with that when the time comes.

Jakedog

My dd from 1990 till 1995 was a 75 bronco ranger. It was fine for me at that time for a few reasons.
1. I was single with no kids.
2. It was affordable at that time, but I wasn't driving 100 miles a day like your self.
3. I was still able to work on it because I could get a ride to work from a friend and my girlfriend had a brand new car we could go places in.

If you have another vehicle as a back up, then I say go for it. The only way to figure it out is to just do it.

AC932

Contributor
Bronco is my first (and only) vehicle, been daily driving it to college/work/road trips. I think you'll be fine. I put about 10K on it a year, but this summer it got around 400 miles a day for a month without any non-geographical issues. Completely stock 3-on-the-tree, manual steering and brakes, no A/C. I'm averaging about $0.18 per mile, anywhere from 13-21 MPG HWY.

Go for it, worst case you'll have a fun story to tell about some crazy issue that made you late.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I guess I don't understand because I've actually made numerous cross-continental trips with point fired, carbureted cars.
The old stuff is still quite capable. You just can't be afraid to do your own work.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
I guess I don't understand because I've actually made numerous cross-continental trips with point fired, carbureted cars.
The old stuff is still quite capable. You just can't be afraid to do your own work.

But there’s a difference between taking trips and DD commuting.

Commuting sucks.