• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dan Wheeler's Explorer EFI Swap Thread

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
The heat always flows to the cabin via the heater core. The thing is the airbox diverts all the air around the core when in full cold. So the heater core gets hot, but no air moving over it. That is how 90+% of all the modern cars are (probably 99%). <-- that is suppose to be percent, not rolly eyes.

That also explains how the factory ECT can be located in the heater line. There is a steady stream of coolant passing through the line. No different then putting the sensor directly into the intake.

Block temperture isn't that critical, it is head temperture that is generally the thing to worrry about. That is why you should alyaws moniter the tempertur at the front of the intake after the water has passed through the heads. Some people find a water passage at the back of the intake (commonly the rear crossover) and try to take temperture reading there. Wow, they always have a cool running engine. Coolant flow is mainly from the front of the block to the rear, up into the heads, then forward through the heads exiting into the intake manifold and out through the thermostat housing, radiator, waterpump, repeat. Just thinking about that cycle should help with placing sensors.
ok so what do we do with our valve setup on the early bronco. if we use it and in the summer heat don't have that valve on the fluid will never circulate around the ect sensor. is there another valve that is cable operated like the vacumm type that dan has shown from the ford ranger available to cure this issue.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
ok so what do we do with our valve setup on the early bronco. if we use it and in the summer heat don't have that valve on the fluid will never circulate around the ect sensor. is there another valve that is cable operated like the vacumm type that dan has shown from the ford ranger available to cure this issue.

take another look at that picture of the ranger diverter valve. I think you might be able to use it with a cable.

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
for some reason i thought that the rod for the valve was a hose barb for the vacuum hose. so yes you could probably make it work with some inginuity. but i thought about it some more and you can just make a h-pattern fitting for the hoses and just install the valve or maybe two valves to shut the flow off. but i spoke with someone about this that is very good with ford efi stuff and he said you should not stop the flow around the ect sensor because it will cause the ecm to keep going from open loop to close loop and vice versa. so i wasn't just brain farting.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
hey guys, how important is the wrapping on the EFI harness? I was just looking at some pictures and noticed I missed a few spots and it doesn't look as good as factory.

If I leave some of the split loom exposed is it gonna get hot and melt or fall apart over time? Or is the wrap just a precaution to make sure the wires dont come out of the split loom? Doesn't seem like that thin plastic could do much in the way of shielding from heat.

thanks,
dan

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
hey guys, how important is the wrapping on the EFI harness? I was just looking at some pictures and noticed I missed a few spots and it doesn't look as good as factory.

If I leave some of the split loom exposed is it gonna get hot and melt or fall apart over time? Or is the wrap just a precaution to make sure the wires dont come out of the split loom? Doesn't seem like that thin plastic could do much in the way of shielding from heat.

thanks,
dan

How many bare wires did you have in your old harness? I doubt the new stuff would be any more likely to melt or fail over time.

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Resurrecting an old thread here, but I thought it was very informative for other folks contemplating going EFI. Nice job, Dan, of documenting the swap.

I think I had dumb luck because mine went together very easy and runs like a sewing machine. It's not an upgrade for the faint of heart and I recommend reading as many of these threads as you can and study up on all the little changes required before you go out and purchase the parts. I spent about nine months studying and accumulated parts. Even though I had a zillion parts there were still a lot of trips to Autozone and Napa along the way.

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Nice thread! Tip for anyone tackling this.... I've found the 7mm high presure rubber fuel line seems to fit the barb spring locks the best. I usually use 5/16 brake lines, terminated with inverted flare high pressure fittings, transition to rubber to isolate the engine vibration. The 7mm fuel lines are common in german imports, and many others I'm sure. It's in between 1/4" and 5/16, and works just fine. use 5/16 high pressure rubber on all of the conventional fitting sizes elsewhere in the system.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
I was reading through this old thread and realized how clueless I was about all this stuff and there are pages and pages of me asking stupid questions and lots of specific information that would take forever to read through so I replaced page one of this thread with a summary.

It's not done, but I'm done for the night and will add some more stuff later:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150669

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I had 2 threads about 20 pages long myself but now, ive got it down pat and will never run a carb on the rocks again.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
What did you finally use as an oil filter after you got ride of the oil cooler?

I use an oil filter for a 96 Explorer 5.0 which is the engine I have. I had to search pretty hard in the junkyard to find the piece that would thread into the block where the oil filter was previously. I don't remember what junkyard car I got it from.

below is the only picture I have but if I remember correctly, I pulled out the hexagonal piece and replaced it with a part that allowed the filter to thread on.

723361646_ByEfo-M.jpg

broncokak

Bronco Guru
I use a NAPA 1515 gold filter. And, it's been a while since I did mine but I thought you can unscrew the old theaded part from the adapter and then just thread it into the block...maybe be all wet on this but its worth taking a look at.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
go to a ford dealership and get the oil filter block adapter for any early model 302's like 70's era mustangs. Cost about $5.

brandenpro

Loc.
Salem, OR
what size is the explorer throttle body? do I need to match the size perfectly when looking for parts? can I use a 70mm elbow with the explorer TB as longs as its close? (i'm assuming I can't use 90mm intake parts)

I have an explorer upper and was wondering this same thing. This is probably the only question I did not find an answer to in this 27 page thread?:?

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
I have an explorer upper and was wondering this same thing. This is probably the only question I did not find an answer to in this 27 page thread?:?

sorry, I don't have an answer for you. Maybe somebody else will chime in. I seem to recall the Explorer TB is 65mm. I ended up cutting down the stock elbow as you may have saw so that was not a concern for me in the end.

My gut feeling is that you would want to keep things within 5mm of the size of your throttle body especially behind the throttle body.

Tom Dummer

Loc.
Scappoose, Or
Dan, hitting a wall here. I cant get stock hoses to fit the radiator setup. Can you shoot some pictures of the lower hose for me?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
First page outdated info

The oldfuelinjection.com page is gone (did Ford kill it like its predecessor?)

The info from it can currently be found at:

http://oldfuelinjection.packrad.net/

He has all the old site as a zip file also, should his page "disappear", well worth downloading for future needs.

mmxpress.com has changed their website and removed the splicing info.

A web search for "Western Union wire splicing method" found over 37,000
results.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for that info too. Hard to keep up with changes sometimes. Especially when the internet changes faster than our projects progress!

Tom, did you ever get your hose info?

Paul