• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 Rear shaft housing...

ledslinger29

If I pull it off are all sorts of guts and bearings gonna fall out?
480d12a770f8a06baf822f084d7868f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tacobronco

Possibly, because you took the yoke off. You can leave the yoke on (or put it back on in you case) and the entire rear housing assembly will come of as a single unit.

OP
OP
ledslinger29

ledslinger29

Thanks, I'll have to replace re rear seal first, The inner seal pictured here is pretty much gone
7de7307df4eea66c06873b30bb935d72.jpg

tacobronco

Also, I should have mentioned that no matter how you disassemble, there will always be the 13 loose roller bearings inside the rear gear... Make sure they don't fall inside the case as you remove the rear housing.

OP
OP
ledslinger29

ledslinger29

Is this bearing pressed on to the rear output shaft? I can't get it off...
61ae8b9c8d278e9d3e2129ec3760233a.jpg

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's lightly pressed on. You have to press the shaft out. You can do it with a big punch and hammer. Punch goes into the divot so you don't damage the threads. Under that bearing is the shim pack, speedo gear, and the large inner bearing.

OP
OP
ledslinger29

ledslinger29

For anyone that ever wondered what it looks like, this is what it looks like.
56905ce96439ebd7bad02bfa16e4d5cc.jpg

I had a bad seal and wanted to get it apart to see how far the water had gotten in, not too bad. I should be able to polish that up and put it all back together. the bearing looked okay, but I'm here, so it's getting a new one

TXBronco 67

Loc.
Katy
Is the speedo gear pressed on or does it tighten down when you reassemble? Reason I ask, I removed my speedo cable and that gear on the tailshaft spins freely which I think is why my speedo quit working all of the sudden. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Is the speedo gear pressed on or does it tighten down when you reassemble? Reason I ask, I removed my speedo cable and that gear on the tailshaft spins freely which I think is why my speedo quit working all of the sudden. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

It isn't pressed on. The thickness of the shims should create enough preload to keep it from spinning but also prevent the bearings from destroying themselves. Not too little and not too much. Check the tightness of the yoke nut. If it's tight you probably have too much endplay and need more shims.

OP
OP
ledslinger29

ledslinger29

Also, got this front output shaft collar in aluminum from JBG, it came with a much thinner seal than the stock one, anyone know why?
eb39fc52ee5765296241cc52207a2503.jpg

OP
OP
ledslinger29

ledslinger29

Figgered all that out. does anyone put grease on the ouput shaft bearings at all before they reassemble?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 13 loose rollers? Ideally you use transmission goo, lacking that use vasoline. Either of those will disolve in gear oil when it first gets warmed up. Grease won't melt when warmed up. It can actually block oil flow into the rollers.

OP
OP
ledslinger29

ledslinger29

I was thinking about the wheel bearing style ones, but yeah I've got to get those roller bearings to stay in there too

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I was thinking about the wheel bearing style ones, but yeah I've got to get those roller bearings to stay in there too

I don't because it would interfere with my ability to measure the end play.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware

I'm probably over thinking this but after assembly but before I stick the speedo cable in I'll shoot some transfer case oil through the speedo hole for a pre-lube.

OP
OP
ledslinger29

ledslinger29

Putting it all back together, what's the generally accepted proper color for a Dana 20?
641c227a58edd94952c879b88d316060.jpg