• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dana 44

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
So I found a Dana 44 for my 69, $400. I don't know the going rate, how does this sound. This is the only one I've found locally in 6 months of looking, and it does have the same gears (3.50) that I have, so I won't have the expense of changing them. Just wondering what the going price is elswhere.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I paid $350 for mine. It was a 76 model so it had the factory disc brakes.

Sometimes you can find them for $300 - $250, but they do seem to keep getting more expensive.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Local market drives the price. Sounds like that is the price in the local market. It's not out of line. Someone will tell you where there is one for $150, but it will be across country (shipping will kill you) and you don't get to see it first hand. If I had been looking for 6 months, I would take it for $400.

OP
OP
mustangtoby

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
I've already told the guy I will take it, just wanting to make sure I wasn't the one getting took. I have a heep with a 30 front 35 rear, and I know the 30 in my bronco won't hold up. I have already replaced 3 axles in the rear of the heep, finally with upgraded axles, then the ring and pinion, now the front ring and pinion is broke. Parts are on the way. It always seems this way with the heep. Its for sale by the way.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I couldn't sell mine for $250. Finally traded it for something else I needed last summer.

PS

Loc.
Sebastopol, CA
I'll certainly agree that factory D44's are getting hard to find. I've been looking for months to find one, reasonably close, without any luck. I don't even care what gearing it has or if it has drum brakes as it'll receive a full rebuild and the disc brakes I already have.

Anyone from Sacramento to San Jose have one?

horsewpt69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Industry, Pa
Around here, scarce is an understatement. It seems more likely that you find a complete Bronco behind someones shed that may happen to have a D44 in it. Sometimes you get lucky and they are willing to part with the complete Bronco for less that you can get a D44 by itself for. I found a 68 awhile back that had the D30 replaced with a 44, got the Bronco for $200, once in awhile you win one. Well, sometimes twice, I just picked up a D44 out of a 79 for my 96 SAS for $30! Guy was scrapping the Bronco and said that's probably what he'd get out of what was left it.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
$400 for a drum Dana 44 is expensive even by California standards. If it already has disc brakes and is in good shape $400 is a great deal. Disc 44s go for about $650 out here.

OP
OP
mustangtoby

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
They go for $300. to $350. here in Mississippi. Please stop calling your EB a heap !!! Barry

Not calling my EB a heep. I have a 2003 wrangler, and it is a heep. I couldn't find a Bronco I could afford, so I financed a heep, now I can't find any one who will buy it for anything close to what I have in it. Right now I have it listed for 4000 less than I have in it, and no bites.

ashuss

Loc.
Littleto CO
I've got a high pinion D44 with the factory disk brakes still on it, out of a 79 bronco. I have had it for sale for 250$, for almost six months, and cant get rid of it. I know it a full width, but still not a bad deal for a better axle.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Another thing to consider is shipping. Yes the posts above show axles for only a few bills, but then you need to ship them. Shipping isn't getting cheaper.

So what is a better deal? $400 local or $250 + another $200 for shipping and you don't get to see it in person before laying out the cash. Then hoping the shipping company doesn't drop it off the truck on they way to you. Arranging a time for both you and the seller to meet with the shipper...