• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Did Wild Horses screw me?

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
I finally ordered my fiberglass hood. $490 with $150 shipping. When I opened it it had a dime size nick in the gel coat. I called them and they said it is to be expected in shipping.

I don't know if I am just being picky or if this is bad customer service. I didn't argue with them on the phone and I was polite. Maybe I shouldn't have been.

It seems to me that after I spent almost five hundred dollars on a hood, I shouldn't have to head off to buy body filler. That was the whole thing with buying a new one, I didn't want to fix the old.

Other than that it looks like a nice quality hood. Let me know if you think I got screwed or not.

brewdude

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Groveland, CA
I would say that it was the shippers fault and not Wild Horses. You should file a complaint with the shipper. But for what it is worth you need to prep the hood for painting anyway so I don't think it would take that long for a fix.

H

Heinz_67

With all due respect, it really does not matter what we think. Have you tried to get the shipping company to take care of it. This does not sound like WH's fault. If you ship it back because of the nick and it gets nicked again in the process, does that make you responsible?

Jim

chawkfan

Loc.
Mebane, NC
If it was shipped via UPS, packages should already be insurred for damages up to $100. Shippers and/or receivers can opt for additional insurance, but I don't know how it was shipped or who shipped it.

Hope this helps,

EK

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
It is common to have air pockets between the jel coat and the glass that open up after it is sanded. A few are easy to fix. Only takes a few min., much less time than to package it back up. To paint you need to sand anyway.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
This sounds typical of fiberglass. I.E. Fiberglass usually needs some prep work and smoothing before it is painted. Did you check the originating address on the package. I'm going to guess that it didn't even come from Wild Horses but rather was probably drop shipped direct from the factory. That is just a guess though since I don't really know. I just know that it is quite common for larger items like this to be drop shipped.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Being a fiberglass fabricator (we just delivered some ultralight RIM composite camera containers for a USN observation aerostat..)...the guys' previous posts covered it already. Gel Coat is brittle as glass..you have to sand the bejeezus out of it to prep for paint anyway..and a 'mar' ten times the size you described would take..oh,... I'll be conservative..20 miniutes to eliminate during the paint prep process.

Of course you could have paid 400 for shipping and had it sent in a vault.%)

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lest my last post came across as a bit imperious..I too would have still been pissed seeing the damage..even knowing how little it takes to fix it. But I'd be going after the carrier, not WH.

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
Yep, I got one shipped to me all packaged up, but it still came with a nice slice taken out of it. For something like that, ya either got to expect it or go pick it up.

Hogback

whenever you order body panels, expect some imperfections. I guess the whole system just accounts for the installer to have to do so much work to get it finished that a few nics won't matter.

ZookBronc

Loc.
South Orange County
I think it does matter what we think first of all, thats why were here and why he asked. Secondly, did the box look damaged? If so, then call UPS and tell them but be sure to keep all the packing materials. If it makes you feel better I actually picked my fiberglass hood up at the manufacturer and it to had little imperfections. Good luck with your journey, whatever you decide.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
I agree fiberglass parts vary bigtime-- the pro flo I purchased about 5 years ago from them(they may have new suppliers now) has a very good gel coat compared to alot I've seen--I didn't do anything to this hood before installing & it's has been flexed many many times opening & closing the hood with no cracks as of yet in the gel coat-- also the grey cloth seems better than my camaro hood which has the white cloth with a grey gel coat --this hood looks more like a decent boat part then most of the fiberglass parts on the market for our trucks--all I've done is wax & some 303 protectant for the brutal texas sun for maintenance-- I'm glad it is smooth because I like the white for reflecting heat & no paint to worry about plus it goes with the roof & grill alright

Attachments

• P5151436.JPG
    P5151436.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 32
  • P5071377-00.JPG
    P5071377-00.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
I buy 90% of my stuff from Wild Horses Small orders I have UPS, Big orders I go pick up (6 Hr drive round trip but save some shipping) But I am 100% happy with Wild Horses and the service(Thank You Johnny & Mark) I get every time my B#69h is shipping ups will drop the ball once in a while, but for the most part they are good too.
Brian #1
Ordered some stuff to day let see if it shows up fri.

OP
OP
griff

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
Ya, I guess I should have directed it more at the shipping company. I would have expected at least some popcorn foam balls to avoid this sort of thing. Wild Horses should feel some sort of responsibility though because i bought it from them and they made their money by just telling somebody else to ship it to me, and they are responsible for deciding which company to use.

I never would have sent it back, I just think i expected them to offer some sort of option.
Thanks for the replys. I already fixed it, and while i can still see it nobody else problably will.

On a side note, when the guy opened up the back of the truck, it was leaning up against the wall with an empty box keeping it from falling over.%)

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I bought a fiberglass hood a couple of years ago from Rocky Roads when I was down in LA. Even picking it up there were some noticeable imperfections in the gel coat. As others have said, it's simply a matter of the manufacturing process.

MisFitToy

Loc.
Calif
griff said:
Ya, I guess I should have directed it more at the shipping company. I would have expected at least some popcorn foam balls to avoid this sort of thing. Wild Horses should feel some sort of responsibility though because i bought it from them and they made their money by just telling somebody else to ship it to me, and they are responsible for deciding which company to use.

I never would have sent it back, I just think i expected them to offer some sort of option.
Thanks for the replys. I already fixed it, and while i can still see it nobody else problably will.

On a side note, when the guy opened up the back of the truck, it was leaning up against the wall with an empty box keeping it from falling over.%)

Griff,
Where was the dime size nick on the hood and was the Box it came in damaged in the spot where the hood was damaged?

When you called W/H and they told you that it is to be expected in shipping, did you ask them if they would offer some sort of option because of the nick or did you just let it go? We all know that if you don't say anything, nothing will happen. If they thought you were ok with it after they told you that it happens sometimes during shipping then there wouldn't of been a reason for them to offer any options.

Fiberglass is not perfect and it will always need some touch up work if you really want it to look nice.

Oh and BTW the person or place that shipped the part has to file any damage claims with the shipping company they used. Then the shipping company would pick up the hood, inspect it, determine if it was something they would pay for, send a refund *usually they fight it* to the place you got it from and then they would send out another hood to you. So weeks later, your second hood would arrive by the same shipper who damaged the hood in the first place.

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Mine was cracked in 3 minor places when it arrived but I fixed it myself as I waited to long to enter my claim with the shipper.
Its an easy fix but lots of sanding and fill to level out perfect. I just took mine off to paint last weekend and a drunk chick fell over taking it with her %). Needless to say I still haven't painted due to more cracks... Gotta love this fiberglass stuff. I'd never use it on a trail rig I'll tell you that!

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
When you payed for the shipping you also payed for the ins. So call the shipper. They will ask how much it will cost to fix, If you don't want to fix it your self get a quote. If you are willing to fix your new very expensive hood don't bother calling them. I know it sucks to get new stuff and it be smashed up when you get it.

Good luck

OP
OP
griff

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
I know now I should have taken it up with the shipper. I just wish the guy would have explained that to me on the phone. It's too late now to do anything and I'm not going to worry about it.

One of the guys at wild horses pm'ed me explaining who to contact if I am ever unhappy with anything, and that made a big difference for me. At least I feel like they care.

I also have a family business, so I understand their side too, that it is hard to keep everybody happy all the time.