• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disc Brake Conversion in '69

4X4Golfer

Loc.
LA,CA
Alrite guys Im new to the site and new to EBs.

I'm looking at few EBs in southern cal and came across a few that I like but I dont like that they have front drums. Whats the best disc brake conversion kit/method out there.
Any info would help, the cost/ease of setup change is gunna make or break a few of these rigs I'm looking at.
Thanks and Hi to everyone here :cool:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
A '69 would have a Dana 30 front axle unless someone has swapped it out. The only way to put disks on it is with the Chevy conversion. There's an writeup in the tech articles.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Either axle is compatible with the Chevy conversion, although purists shudder at the thought. Kits run about $600 new, $300 used.

Jonboy69

Yup, I have a chevy disc set up on my 69 & it works great. If you ever upgradce the d30 to d44, I believe the disc setup is interchangable. If you want factory disc, you need a 76 or 77 but then, like me, you have to deal with California smog. Which aint fun. I would just keep your eyes open for as nice as rig as you can afford & if it does not have discs, factor that into your purchase or future plans. If you add disc, you will have new brakes at least & know they are good. Nothing like having reliable brakes !

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
How handy are you? You could always just keep your eyes open for a disc brake front axle that you can swap out. In my case, I did a FW swap, in my '69 and ended up with stock '79 disc brakes. I just made sure that I got the M/C and prop. valve from the donor and swapped those in as well.

Another route that some people have taken is to leave the drum brakes but convert to hydroboost. There are some very happy members running that setup. If everything you have is in good condition, that might be an option, and since you basically need to convert to power steering to do it, you'll be killing two birds with one stone.