• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Distributor Advice/Suggestions

SeaVee

Contributor
It’s distributor time on my 302 build. It’s in late 80s block with a mild cam, a little headwork and a holly 500 CFM carb (1848-02, i believe).
Looking for advice on what would work best for this set up. This truck will be more of a daily driver, mall crawler. We are restoring it back to original condition. There will not be heavy off-road on this one, maybe some sand and that’s about it.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
I wouldn’t do an MSD run ready I had a circuit board go out in the bottom of the distributor. They are big bucks now, not ford Dura spark most common easy to get

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
IF you want dependability you literally only have two choices:

1- DUI Davis Unified Ignition distributors and parts are the MOST reliable and that is why they cost the most. ( aslo mentioned directly above this post)

2- Ford OE Duraspark. Simple, OE tested for literally hundreds of millions of miles. Work great, just make sure the module you buy is an OE, MOTORCRAFT unit not some POS rebuilt junk. If you don't buy Motorcraft (used will work fine) you might as well buy an HEI unit that many here will suggest. These HEI units last until they leave you stranded. Great for the Broncos that get used 1x/month is all.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I run their Ford Duraspark rebuild.

[/URL]

It triggers a HEI module.

View attachment 928198

I daily drive my Bronco.
It's a DUI. :)

They make good stuff.

I would guess some other company has to make something that is reliable (one would think) but all I've witnessed, worked on and heard stories about for 40 yrs are all the other brands out there (except Petronics) that fail when used. Who cares if it's cheap and has fast replacement shipping if you're on vacation or hundreds of miles from home and the 75 dollar ebay/Amazon special fails.

One ruined day, one tow bill easily pays for quality.

OP
OP
S

SeaVee

Contributor
DUI site says 4 month lead time. Pertronics has been suggested to me as well.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I'm running a Duraspark out of a stock '76 and keep a spare module in my console. Both modules are Motorcraft. Happy with the curve and haven't had any issues in a dozen or so years.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm running a Duraspark out of a stock '76 and keep a spare module in my console. Both modules are Motorcraft. Happy with the curve and haven't had any issues in a dozen or so years.
This is what you do if you have duraspark. My friend had one on top of the other on the fender well. They are not as easy to find nowadays.

badandy73

Contributor
Broncoholic
No love for the MSD pro billet on here? Paired with a 6A box makes for a solid setup, been running one for several years now with no issues.

nvrstuk

Contributor
No love for the MSD pro billet on here? Paired with a 6A box makes for a solid setup, been running one for several years now with no issues.
M= My

S= Spark

D= Disappeared

No offense if you're having good luck (hope you continue to) but the acromyn is accurate. :)

I know guys that run MSD but they have issues. Others I'm sure have good luck.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'm real happy running my points distributor through a TFI module firing an E-core coil. All stock parts.

The distributor driven gear must be compatible with the cam material. Are you for sure running a flat tappet cam?
Next up is the curve. The advance rate. An emissions tuned distributor isn't great for power of drivability. Springs and limits do vary depending on who did the tuning.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've installed & used Petronix for decades on dozens of boats & vehicles.
Excellent product and inexpensive.
Same here. I've used even more Mallory Unilites. However....the quality of the electronics in those is really sketchy these days. Never trusted MSD....I miss Jacobs...

nvrstuk

Contributor
I'd forgotten about Jacob's. :) I ran their stuff back in the late '80s.

I believe Unilite got bought by Mallory.
Mallory got bought by Holley (same as MSD)??

OP
OP
S

SeaVee

Contributor
I bought the engine from my mechanic who had it built for a project he never finished. Was professionally built by a reputable local shop. Never been fired up. Has some modifications, below is the cam card. Just looking for something compatible that won’t break the bank. IMG_3892.jpeg

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Just looking for something compatible that won’t break the bank.
What did your truck come with?? Pre-electronic ignition I would go with the points distributor with a Pertronix module dropped in. If it has a Duraspark ignition, I'd keep that.
Just make sure the gear material is compatible!! Swapping the gear is easy. I think these are the best options for the cost....Just my 2 cents which is worth just that :geek:.