• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dumb Newb questions: want early Bronco.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I plan on enlisting the members of this forum on my search. I won't be doing any impulse buys. I am going to send pics, etc and let the experts guide me!

This is the best thing you can do. Keep your eyes open as you travel around also. There still are plenty sitting in peoples side yards, neglected that offer a good basis for a project. If you take your time you will find exactly what you want for a great price.
Dennis

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
The first post looks like a nice rig built more for trail than street and I think your kidneys would pay for it. (Plus the bulls balls need to go;D ) The second one looks more like a daily driver, but to be honest I think you can find one for less that will suit your needs. Keep in mind that these were trucks built in the late 60s and early 70s and a top speed of 50 was OK then. You will need to update a few systems to get to todays cruising speeds of 65 - 75.

In the first CL add he also talks about a TC 4 speed, while a great swap in earlier years, it was little more than a mid gear with the 4th gear being similar to our 3rd in the standards of the era. 5 speed conversions are more common place now with overdrives and well documented here.

If you are not afraid of the work, I would suggest looking for a cleaner less modified one in the 5k range and putting time and some cash into it to make it more along what you want.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey Greg, welcome!!! I'd suggest you leave you wallet at home for now and go look at a lot of different rigs!! That should help you determine which way you want to go. The one in Columbus claims the builder was "kb6677", he's on here, but I think that was a while back. You could check with him.

There's a great bunch of EB guys in Atlanta that get together about once a month, just to eat, BS and look at EBs. There's a thread City of Atlanta Bronco Owners, or something like that.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131409

There's a lot of different ways to evaluate or determine the "value" of an EB.

Good luck!!!

Last edited:

rhino2104

I'm going to say to wait till you find the one you really want. I know the feeling to want to find one as soon as possible. It took me almost 9 years to finally get exactly what I want.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
nga has a good point. see if you can hook up with some locals and they can show you the is and outs of good and bad.

OP
OP
G

Greg Bell

I will. I am glad I started this. I would prefer to find one with a 5 speed already put in, but I can do that myself and won't let that be a deal-breaker.

I would like to find a White or silver one. But I would take mismatched if the structure was solid.

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
What do you guys think about this one? Too much? Too modified to drive? I was thinking about checking it out tomorrow.

http://columbusga.craigslist.org/cto/1331570816.html

You can definitely get a much better bronco for that amount. You seem pretty anxious to get a bronco but keep looking don't just jump at the first opportunity. It could take some time before you find exactly what you want. Trust me I have heard many people jump on an "a good deal" to find out the truck is much worse than they thought. I would recommend that you go see the truck in person to see exactly what you're getting.

OP
OP
G

Greg Bell

Absolutely! I am just running examples past you guys to see what the experts say about each truck, questions to ask, etc.

You don't have to worry about me jumping into anything. I am in research mode and can wait years if necessary.

mo-bronco

If you range around Tenn, you might stop by James Duff Inc. Seeing their place and talking to them might give you some ideas and a really strong desire to get one now! They're in Knoxville.

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
thats a sweet hart.

but

what you going to use it for?

driver?

wheeler?

some drive some wheeler?

show off?

cus you can bet on one thing. 4 MPG! at least. ;D

welcome to the site man. hope ya find one.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey Greg, not mine!! Never seen or heard of it, but that's not unusual!! There's a ton of EB's floating around GA. Like I said earlier, you need to go look!! Pics can be misleading and a country music singer had a line about "never went to bed with an ugly woman but sure woke up with a few"!!!
EB's can be the same!!%) %)

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Greg, check out the City of ATL thread I sent you, look for daveweil1, I do believe that's his EB, I have never seen it but it's strong!!;D

Take a calculator and add up the parts on that EB, it's a steal!!!