• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dumb Newb questions: want early Bronco.

66ALRIDE

Contributor
Just BIP It!
Loc.
Dothan, AL
No NGA not alot of info on it at all. Suprises me what shows up in your own backyard sometimes. A friend of mine bought a 69 last month that was stored inside a shop for nearly 10 years. The bad thing is, it was only 3 blocks from my shop and I never knew anything about it.

OP
OP
G

Greg Bell

I am looking for something I can drive anytime. Not a "daily driver" per se but something I could drive to work, to the shooting range, etc without too much drama. 4mpg seems a bit extreme.

What kind of MPG does a 302 Bronco get (approx) without insane mods?

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey alride, very little about an EB surprises me anymore!! From where it was hiding to what options it has, etc, etc !!! They are all different!!!

I did like the write up on the SuperCharged KY EB, says OJ started the Bronco fad????%) %)

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Now Greg you're getting picky!!! MPG should not even be in the evaluation of which EB you purchase!!!%) %) Gasoline will be the smallest $ portion of the addiction!!!!;D ;D

OP
OP
G

Greg Bell

12-14 mpg still beats my old 06 Jeep. If that thing got 11 I would be suprised.

NGA,

CAN"T I EVEN ASK!!!:) LOL.

I said I was a dumb newb!

Still, I want a Bronco, not a dedicated Jeep rockcrawler. Something that can be driven but has great offroad capability. Basically, a man's vehicle. LOL

I miss my Jeep a lot. But I have always wanted a Bronco. From my ongoing research it looks like the Bronco is just as capable and, if anything, simpler.

1970mule

Bronco Guru
That One For 8k Was Worth It And More, But If Your Are Not Going To Use All Those Ponies Its A Waste And When You Stroke A 351 You Tend To Get More Heat Related Problems And Also Breaking Drive Trains If You Have A Heavy Foot.

1970mule

Bronco Guru
that one you showed for 8K on craigs list was a good deal, worth the money, but, from what i have seen when you stroke a engine you tend to get alot more heat related problems. if you live in a hot area you may get a prob, also with the added torq u might go thru drive trains like tic tacs. just IMO

OP
OP
G

Greg Bell

I basically want one with some minor mods, good tires, little rust and no rot. A solid 302 and a manual transmission--preferably a 4-5 speed. White, silver, black or grey. I don't care at all about the interior, but I want all the lights, etc to work.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can definitely get a much better bronco for that amount.

**If you can build that bronco, just buying the parts for less than 10k I want you to build my next bronco street rod. I would really like you to justify your comment-seriously
**You must have gotten parts prices confused with the ones you need to buy to complete the bronco in your avatar.

When I sold it (built in 94-96), it had a 3.5 susp, cage, I bought the TopLoader OD and conversion hardware, from Jon Karp himself-supposedly the last one he did, gears, rear Detroit, centerforce clutch upgrade, shifters, beard seats, kayline top, Rhino linning, bumpers, tires and wheels (5, 33's),LeCarra wheel, had to take it to a buddy to have some metal work done, intake, carb, headers, exhaust............
I had alot more than 10 in it in 1996 $'s counting the original purchase when it was uncut/unlifted.............

The next owner who bought it from me put the sefi conversion on it, 2" body lift and long arm kit on it.
Don't know where the pedals, stereo,ugly yellow roll cage padding or truck nuts came from but they did not come from here :)
So anyway Greg, good luck with your search but be careful not to take all the stuff you read here to heart, especially when it comes to pricing!!!!

Last edited:

stang67

Loc.
TN
I just found a 76 with ps/pb/all original drive train from what I can tell. I will confirm some stuff after I get it home. It has an aftermarket steering column and wheel. stock suspension but everything appeared to work fine. Needs some attention to the steering and at some point if I get picky I will do a complete restoration on it. It is $3500 and less than a mile from the house. I am like you, I do alot of research before I buy. luckily I found that one 1st and read this site alot!!!! Once I heard from some of the guys and read some stories, I knew I was doing the right thing. Crazy thing is I have to come to Atlanta for 2 weeks before I can come home and buy the bronco. work sucks sometimes but it pays for the hobbies.