• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dumb Question

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D There is a 3/8" pipe plug on the driver (L) side of the diff. take it out and fill . If you have a 66/67 then it is on the back of the diff. houseing. If you have one that isnt drilled then you will need to pull one axle and put the oil in that way. Yoy will find them sometimes thea have a late houseing and earley diff. no oil hole.good luck.%) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

4x4x289

look for a plug on the third member, couple inches being the yoke, driver's side. use a 3/8" drive rachet to remove it. it has right hand threads. you might need to scrap off the dirt and grime to find it. fill it there till it takes no more, with axle positioned level

71sport408

Loc.
Mandan
If you happen to have a drain plug then you can fill it through there, but if not(which is probably the case since you are asking)then pull out one axle shaft and fill it through the axle tube.

;D Good Luck

Will

Amac70

ME
wouldn't it be easier to go through the breather hole if you didn't have a fill hole then pulling the axle out and putting oil in that way.

Case

If you have to pull an axle to fill the diff, should you raise that one side of the bronco higher than the other so it flows down into the diff ??
By the way that wasnt a stupid question at all. just wait a while and i will ask a question thats stupid. :):)

71sport408

Loc.
Mandan
Definately not a stupid question. As far as how much to fill it hotwheels I think it takes a little under three quarts. Anyone else know for sure?

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
that might work if it is a new install and empty. but how do u tell it doesn't already have 2 1/2 quarts in it? There has to be a good way to do this and not overfill it.

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
Amac70 said:
wouldn't it be easier to go through the breather hole if you didn't have a fill hole then pulling the axle out and putting oil in that way.

that's what I was thinking. ?:?

this seems to be the easiest way to do it and nobody mentioned it besides you.

Are we wrong ?:?

OP
OP
L

Levisbronco

Loc.
Eugene, Oregon
I removed the breather nozzle and filled it up that way,Broncobowsher you were absoulutly right, all kinds of gunk around that area. I put in two quarts because that is all I had does anyone one know the right amount? And does it matter if you have a locker or posi in the rear?

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
My book calls for 5 pints. A locker or L/S won't make a difference. With a clutch type L/S you do need to use an additive with the GL. Some GLs have the L/S stuff already in it but most don't. It would be clearly labeled if it did.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Skuzzlebutt said:
My book calls for 5 pints. A locker or L/S won't make a difference. With a clutch type L/S you do need to use an additive with the GL. Some GLs have the L/S stuff already in it but most don't. It would be clearly labeled if it did.

Actually you will probably have a hard time finding any that do not have it anymore. (All three of the different ones I looked at in the parts store last week had it already) Even at that a clutch type diff may still require additive if it is locking up on corners. This will depend more on how tight it was in the first place and how worn the clutch pack is than anything.