• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duraspark or aftermarket ignition???

Green Machine

Loc.
Cranbrook,B.C.,Can.
In the process of putting a new wiring harness in my 74 bronco and thinking of changing the ignition system to something a little more simple than the duraspark. A one wire system.... I am not sure if petronix systems work in the duraspark distributor? Don't know a lot about this stuff?:? Any info would be great.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
The Petronix is a good simple system, one wire to it and that is all you need. You will have to put it into a points distributor.

The Duraspark is pretty simple as well, you can buy parts anywhere for it. Any decent mechanic can diagnose and repair it as well.

You can probably buy everything new in both systems for around the same amount of money. I would stick with either of the two, unless you have a need for a rev. limiter or a high compression engine the MSD and others are in my opinion a waste of money.

David

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm installing a duraspark moded for two wire use with Mopar module. Supposed to be way more reliable than ford modules, same or better spark, same ford dizzy. Ignition Engineering Anaheim CA. Total setup $300 with full length dizzy bushings, curved to my motor, carb, cam.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Dura spark is pretty simple.
part are readily available

cheap if you shop junk yards..

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Another vote for a Duraspark distributor with an HEI module. Simplifies the wiring and you get 12 volts to the coil in start and run unlike the 6v in run whackiness you get with a Duraspark module. No more resistor!

ugly74

Bronco abuser
duraspark is pretty rugged and simple... I switched to it after my Accel distributor started givin me grief on my cleveland swap. but pertronix is nice too. as reliable as anything, never had a problem when I used the same setup on multiple vehicles with 302s. and with pertronix, I like being able to throw in a set of points if it did ever fail

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Another vote for a Duraspark distributor with an HEI module. Simplifies the wiring and you get 12 volts to the coil in start and run unlike the 6v in run whackiness you get with a Duraspark module. No more resistor!

It's not the duraspark module that reduces the coil voltage in RUN. It's the ignition resistor preventing your coil from burning up.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Duraspark distrubuter
Ignition box of your choice. I ran a Jacobs but kept an HEI module attached to a heat sink in the parts kit. That can be wired into just about anything that has a magnetic pickup distributer and 12V power.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
HEI is a tight fit. Sometimes run into hood clearance issues. Usually air cleaner clearance is an issue as well.

Summit = Duraspark + ignition box of your choice option. Never ran the summit box personally.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
My vote is for the duraspark setup its simply reliable and parts are every where. When and if it fals u just unplug and replace. Its not hard to wire up. Not saying the other setups are bad but unles you carry a spare all made up it will be more than just a unplug and replace.

I'm not a big fan of the aftermarket igintion boxes they just seem to fail way to much to my liking and when they do fail what are you going to do? If you were running a very high compression engine or froced inductiion then I would say you may need a aftermarekt box but other wise they are mostly a waste of $$.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Me..i've been running either stock Duraspark or Mallory Unilites in every engine (dozens, we're talking about) marine, truck or otherwise, for about as long as both flavors have existed.

I have nothing good to say about MSD. Just my experience in fixing other's problems..or from simply observing them from a distance.;)

markperry

Bronco Guru
No votes for this one? http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-18546-351w-hei-conversion-distributor-black-cap.html I've been debating whether to get that one (to clean up wiring) or go with stock dizzy and add Summit's box. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-850610/

The bronco graveyard HEI is JUNK.....I went through 3 of these none worked before I bought a 55.00 ebay special and it fired right up%) I use Duraspark on my Bronco and HEI on the 67 stang....don't really see any difference in performance or reliability.