• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI fuel filter

Broncobowsher

Total hack
So I am gathering parts for another EFI install. Going aftermarket this time. Doing the fuel supply all in 3/8". Came time to find a filter. I'm looking to do something a little better than what I have been doing. In the past I just took a mustang fuel filter, slid the rubber hose on and tossed a clamp on. The nipple wasn't flared at the end. In fact it is only a 5/16 nipple. Should have been a quick connect instead I just crammed a 3/8" hose on and tossed a clamp past the latching ring. It worked, but wasn't right. This time I am trying to do it a little more right. I see the fancy race filters, for nearly $100 and at time more. Don't need that. An OEM $10 disposable filter would be fine. But that is harder to figure what to get than I expected.

So what's everyone using for an EFI fuel filter?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Agree, should be the other way around. Put the 85 micron filter between the tank and LPP, and really only need it if the tank's pick-up doesn't have a 'sock' on it.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Curious, usual micron rating for EFI is 10 at max. Carb'd can get away with much bigger.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-230102/overview/

Disclaimer: this is the style, you can purchase it with several different micron screens I believe.

Cool thing is replacement elements (filters) are readily available from Summit and for CHEEEEP.

Been using mine for 7 years almost daily and not on issue. Checked it for the first time 2 yrs ago and it didn't even look like it had been used (clean tanks help)! :)

Last edited:

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I find it interesting that more than a few aftermarket filters do not specify their GPM/LPM/LPH/GPH flow rates where the Wix I linked above does.

And Rock Auto sells them for $10

I did use an Aeromotive filter assembly on a previous product, but I got it for free and I made a ~100 micron "filter" element for it because the stock tank in that vehicle didn't have a sock on it's pick-up. So my Franken-filter (really more of a screen) became a pre-filter between the tank and the LPP.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
I use this one on almost everything, even the still carb'd Valiant that has a TBI pressure Walbro on it. I usually source it locally, but I have ordered it from Summit.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wix-33481

I use these adapter fittings or similar:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-991955erl

>>> a few months ago I helped a friend put the Holley sniper system on his '67 chevelle..... we used a filter with those specs ,but used different adapters.... the following "power steering" adapters allow that filter to bolt directly to 3/8" inverted flare hard line.... not cheap ,but they get the job done>> ... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedway-M...483878&hash=item1e9e001398:g:lvIAAOSwYNxaXVVK ..... the 5/8"-18 threads on the hard line are so close to the 16mm x 1.5 threads that they screw together with no problem.... edit>> more info for when that link above dies in the future.... O-ring to inverted flare power steering adapter, part# 91032921 from speedwaymotors.com .... https://www.speedwaymotors.com/O-Ring-to-Inverted-Flare-Power-Steering-Adapter,24682.html ... ps.- something to take note.... some call tube fittings out by thread size & some by flare size.... this fitting referred to above as a 16mm to 5/8" inverted flare would also be called a 16mm to 3/8" inverted flare fitting by some... >>https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/69624

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Here we go, just copied this from my build list sheet...which I always keep in the Bronco... this is updated from my earlier post.

Summit Racing SUM-230120R racing anodized 10 micron replaceable element fuel filter: Sum-230111 replaceable element $13.95

I'm sure if you're closer to stock HP levels you can find something cheaper but I needed flow for my build. Hope this helps some.

OP
OP
Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That 230120R is a 100 micron filter, not 10.

I think I am pretty much settled on the WIX filter. You can buy one at any parts store in the future. Filters really good. Has a high flow rate, more than the pump. I have found plenty of adaptors for the M16 O-ring fitting to convert to just about anything, AN-6 to hose barb. There will be in tank pickup screens for a prefilter.

Sometimes cheap and simple is all you need.

Thanks-

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
A note about my thinking in terms of fuel plumbing. I avoid anything steel unless there is no other option. My reason is based on the time that I spent working on two different engine dynos, and that is that the plating of steel fittings is not what it used to be. Anodized aluminum and brass fittings are better at long term dealing with the alcohol content of current gasoline and the bio component of current diesel. Plated steel seems to only be good for a year, at most, before it starts rusting.

69svt

Loc.
the 908

nvrstuk

Contributor
Well I must have written the incorrect number down somewhere as I just called Summit and they verified the one I purchased is a 10 micron filter but the number was not what I posted...This is the correct number SUM230116R which I need to change in my build list now..