• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Questions (e.g., firing order)

GrayB

Hi Folks,

1. I have a mildly built 302 (not 5.0) and want some fuel injection. I've been thinking a TBI system like MSD Atomic since (to my understanding) SEFI would be the wrong firing order. Should I really be concerned about this?

2. I have a 5.8L sitting in my garage that I want to stroke out and put in one day (it'll be a while). Another reason I was thinking TBI -- since I could just slap that onto the new engine. Thoughts? From what I've read, I'll want to use an 89-93 Mustang SEFI system if I do go to SEFI on a 5.8L. Is that right?

3. What's the best place to find a real "for dummies" explanation of how to convert to SEFI? I know there's tons written. I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I'll need something very detailed with lots of pics.

Thanks much

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
Hi Folks,

3. What's the best place to find a real "for dummies" explanation of how to convert to SEFI? I know there's tons written. I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I'll need something very detailed with lots of pics.

Thanks much

you can start reading here,
http://www.bcbroncos.com/fuelefi.html
unfortunately fordfuelinjection.com website is down, maybe someone can upload the pdf's for you, I had printed them and did not save them, maybe I have them at work, this below is also a good read
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150669

I'm sure others will chime in

good luck

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
FIRING ORDER DOES NOT MATTER

it will run better than a carb unless you are truely very good at tuning a carb or know someone that is. the SEFI will idle very good but it will have a very slight bobble but no more than a carbed engine its just slightly rougher than the right order and in a lot of cases you wont notice. You can actually fool the computer into thinking it has the right order by swapping the plug wires on each bank fron to back ( 1 to 4, 2 to 3 etc)then you will need to rotate the distrbutor 90 deg to get the # 1 place on the computer on the actual #1. its not worth te trouble, I ran it both ways, not really much difference in the idle and no difference in the part and WOT operation. I had a rough idle that I eventually traced to the 10 pin connector. Once I soldered them in everything was good.

I ran this SD system on a 302 for years then built a 393 and coverted to mass air. it started right up. it ran a little lean and I richened it up by cranking up the fuel pressure. it actually ran better then that it did after it went to the tuner.

THe muastang mass aie system will run anything you want but it will need a achip and tune to deal with major changes like an additional 91 cubes.

I like it because it is even now a heavily supported system and you can get parts while traveling and dont have to order something and wait several days for it to ship. Even if the comupter fails everything is on the chip so you can just pull it out and plug it in to another computer.

the mustang stuff to run your 302 can be ought cheaply on the internet and depending on your definition of midly built will run it just fine without an exoensive chip or tune.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Hi Folks,

1. I have a mildly built 302 (not 5.0) and want some fuel injection. I've been thinking a TBI system like MSD Atomic since (to my understanding) SEFI would be the wrong firing order. Should I really be concerned about this?

2. I have a 5.8L sitting in my garage that I want to stroke out and put in one day (it'll be a while). Another reason I was thinking TBI -- since I could just slap that onto the new engine. Thoughts? From what I've read, I'll want to use an 89-93 Mustang SEFI system if I do go to SEFI on a 5.8L. Is that right?

Thanks much

The firing order difference on the Ford EFI just means 4 of 8 injectors fire at a less than optimal time. With a TBI everything is less than optimal. With a tune you can change the firing order in the program.

Think about the explorer EFI conversion. EFI Guy can modify a harness and computer for less than what you can buy the mustang parts for.