• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Questions

TDavis

I'm getting everything together to start my EFI swap and didn't know if I ran a mustang sending unit in my fuel cell would i still have to run a low pressure pump and a accumulator?

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
i run a 5.0 sending unit with a 90* bend on the end. it works great for what i do. if you do hill climbs and such with less then half a tank you may have issues.

i gassed up today and put in 11 gallons. last night i was driving through the muddy trails at deer camp with no issues.

check my efi build post for pics of the set up.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
If you run the Mustang sender with the HP fuel pump on it, then you wouldn't need to run a LP pump as well.

On the accumulator, most likely not, but you would want to make sure you have a recess or baffled area in the tank where the pump sits.

Be careful substituting a truck EFI sender for the Mustang unit, many of the trucks used LP pumps in the tank and a HP frame mounted unit (which is also acceptable, just so you know what you're running).
Joe

OP
OP
T

TDavis

Thanks! I work at a parts store and I just ordered a new mustang sending unit so that shouldn't be a problem.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Somewhere I heard that Ford changed the sending unit specs with the new dash style in '87.

The '86 tank is a hard find because people wnating EFI in the pre'87 mustangs have one choice for a one that will work with the old style fuel gauge.