• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

electric fuel pump gets REAL hot???

tompdog7

i just put a new bosch fuel pump on my 73 bronco 302. after about 10 minutes it is so hot i cant touch it and it is vaporlocking the fuel. does anybody have any idea what could be causing this. it is the same wiring from my other fuel pump. thanks

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Check all your connections and make sure the ground is good and clean.... Or you may have a bad pump...but I would say that would be the last option.

OP
OP
T

tompdog7

this may be a dumb question but what does the ground do? if it was not a good ground would that make it hot?

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
A lot of time the fuel pump will heat up if it's pulling air through it. Most of them rely on the fuel to cool them. If nothing else has changed, I'd be looking at all my connections and making sure there are no places to pull air in.
Joe

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
A bad ground would result in more resistance.. causing the heat to build up. I am guessing that is idea he was getting at.

Ultimately, that is what a heating element is.. an electrical circuit that has a lot of resistance.

cynrays

Mount it away from anything that is hot. I mounted mine on the fender well in front of the master cylinder...

welndmn

Bronco Guru
rjlougee said:
A lot of time the fuel pump will heat up if it's pulling air through it. Most of them rely on the fuel to cool them. If nothing else has changed, I'd be looking at all my connections and making sure there are no places to pull air in.
Joe
Right, also do you have a filter before the pump? that could be clogged.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I still say mount it closer to the tank they push better than pull. we had a boat that the pump would get hot and we would put it in cold water and would work fine for a while, crude but worked.

DBrown

Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
I still say mount it closer to the tank they push better than pull. we had a boat that the pump would get hot and we would put it in cold water and would work fine for a while, crude but worked.

+1

all pumps push better then they pull. mount it closer to the tank and it might solve the problem. I have seen pump installed in the engine bay.......they are noisy and don't last long. that is why some trucks in the 80's has a feeder pump to the high pressure frame rail pump.