• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

electric power steering

jcasey12

Anyone put this on a classic bronco? If so, pls tell me about it---what donner car did you use, etc. How much did it cost? Are you happy with it? I've heard that it has been done on ) older (50's) ford cars.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Just saw a video of an install electric power steering on a 68 mustang not rack and pinion but the kit is expensive It hooks up Directly to the Ford Steering box I am doing this set up on my 66 fastback interesting to see if somebody does it on a bronco

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
56f100... be really interested in updates on how this works for your Fastback...keep us posted...

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Electric power steering pump or no kidding electric driven steering? I was looking at using electric pump for hydroboost pressure and stock explorer for steering. Non-used plan number 45,328.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
First post,,72 of thirty+years currently under complete tear down ..So at my work we installed electric assist steering on a 67 GT 390 mustang.It installed completely under dash with a control to adjust resistance feel.it required cutting/sectioning column tube to install motor assembly roughly the size of wiper motor..it works well 3-4 years later. with key on you have assist ,engine no need to have running. for street only rig maybe.Was rather expensive and took a lot of effort to squeeze in the space availble..

OP
OP
J

jcasey12

EP872

What you describe is the set up I'm curious about. What did it cost to do on the mustang? Any reason it wouldn't work on a bronco? Seems to me it would.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
New Chevy trucks have electric steering too, but I'm not sure which method they're using yet. Haven't crawled around one, or searched online yet.

Paul

nvrstuk

Contributor
New Chebby trucks cost 70-100 GRAND!!! Ouch.... guess this old guy is suffering from sticker shock.... electric assist would be great...

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Several things online that show people doing it to
Mustangs and falcons using Prius or Saturn electric power steering

Cheap at the pick and pull

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
New Chebby trucks cost 70-100 GRAND!!! Ouch.... guess this old guy is suffering from sticker shock.... electric assist would be great...

My brother just bought a new 4wd crew Cab Gmc
About $60k
He sold his old one for $30k and he has a small biz so it’s going to save him $14k on his taxes ,
Said he rather pay the stealership than the IRS

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They can be had (slightly used) for $27k with a few bells-n-whistles, but not the type you get in the big-buck-trucks.
For that money you get an LD (extended cab, short bed, 2wd) with about 20k miles on it, aluminum block 365hp 5.3LS variable displacement, 6-speed trans, automatic grille louvers (aero and cooling) and a few other decencies.
That least meaning just not a lot of modern goodies, but more than we used to get!

Oh, and electric steering!;);D
Missing of course are the full crew cab, electric seats, leather, full navigation, power-steps, and I'm sure about $40k worth of other options.
But hey, whaddya want for under $30 grand. Right?%)

Paul

OP
OP
J

jcasey12

Searching on the internet revealed that Jegs sells complete conversion kits for Broncos --- price is $1450. Not inexpensive, but neither is conversion using Bronco parts.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Jcasey12,, i'd say in bronco very doable,,having 3 on tree or column shift auto would not work,,may require pedal support mods for clearance..i think it was that kit you mentioned jegs sells cjpony parts as well.. That prius set up seems interesting(just saw video on u tube)but seems more fab and figuring out,,as for the newer gm trucks its a steering rack and pinion set up as well as newer ford trucks been using..Also consider these systems with max load draw 60+ amps so may need electrical upgrades.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Friend of mine just put it in his 56 Ford truck likes it he has a Mustang ll front end suspension and rack and pinion steering

Which electric strg setup did he put in?? Sounds like the best of everything for a compact setup...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That Jegs electric power steering kit sounds like the one I saw at SEMA a few years back. Think of it as a power brake booster but in the steering shaft. You get to keep the manual steering box, which sucks. Most of the old manual steering boxes are pretty sloppy, they are all 6 turn boxes, and I don't give them much life with a booster in front of them. It might be light steering for you but the steering box wasn't engineered for amplified input forces. Even hydraulic power steering boxes don't put the force in the input shaft, the forces are further down the steering box and not before all the little ball bearings at the worm.

The original application for the power steering in the column are pretty light cars and the racks (they are all rack and pinion) are engineered to take the amplified input shaft forces.

The newer trucks (and some bigger cars) will put electric motor(s) in the rack itself.

The electric power steering also incorporates thermal protection. Work the power steering really hard and you can overheat the electric motor. The factory computer watches/computes this and will throttle back the steering assist to protect itself, while giving a little warning light on the dash.

There is also the electric over hydraulic. It's just an electric motor driving a hydraulic pump. Takes a good charging system but deletes the belt off the engine.