• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

electric starting issues, need help

bnk70bronco

Loc.
Redding, CA
What can it be. It is having the hardest time to crank the engine. Just cranks real slow and then fast for a few seconds and then real slow. I replaced all battery cables, put in a new optima but it didn't help. I replaced the starter about 3 months or so ago with an autozone lifetime one. When it is cranking the battery cables get real real hot like a bad connection or something but everything is tight. Any ideas on what is going on?
Could the starter just be having issues. I am at stumped on this one. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
bnk70bronco

bnk70bronco

Loc.
Redding, CA
I checked the ground and it seems ok. The bolt doesn't have any rust on it or anything. I replaced the solenoid in the parking lot at work last night with no change. It is odd. Maybe I will try moving the engine ground to a different location.

70_Steve

Old Guy
bnk70bronco said:
Just cranks real slow and then fast for a few seconds and then real slow.
It could be the starter, but it almost sounds like a timing problem.

Try pulling all the plugs out, so the engine has no compression, then trying the starter. It should just turn over very fast. Then put the plugs back in, and pull the coil wire. Should turn over slower that with the plugs out, but should turn over at an even speed. Not fast and slow.

What happened to the engine before you started having problems?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is the ground where it's always been? If so then I'd look at what you changed before this started. Sounds like the starter is binding up or something. Did you mess with the ignition timing recently? It also could be a too advanced condition. Do you have a Duraspark ignition with start-retard function? Maybe it's not working anymore and is adding resistance to turning over.
The hot cables would indicate either too much current needed, like a faulty starter motor, or too much resistance to the flow through that cable I would think. Which cables were hot? All of them or just one?
Since they're all new, they "shouldn't" be the issue, but the connections still could be. Where is your ground mounted just out of curiosity? Still in the stock location?
Might as well have the starter checked out if nothing else seems obvious. New isn't always a guarantee.

Paul

OP
OP
bnk70bronco

bnk70bronco

Loc.
Redding, CA
I thought about the timing thing so I tried moving the distributor either way and starting it and it didn't make a difference. It is all the wires that get hot. I will try the spark plug thing and see what happens. Also I am going to check all the bolts and make sure everything is tight. This all started when I was stuck on a hill cranking the starter. I thought it was the battery because it got real slow to crank (Good excuse to finally get the optima) but that didn't work. I am also going to borrow a starter tonight and try that. Thanks for all the input so far.

OP
OP
bnk70bronco

bnk70bronco

Loc.
Redding, CA
. Where is your ground mounted just out of curiosity? Still in the stock location?
Might as well have the starter checked out if nothing else seems obvious. New isn't always a guarantee.

Paul[/QUOTE]

The ground is hooked up to the block at the front of the engine behind the alternator sort of.

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
I say get the starter checked, had one less than a year old on my son's pick-up that did the exact same thing as your description. Bad starter drawing to much amerperage and heating up the cables.

OP
OP
bnk70bronco

bnk70bronco

Loc.
Redding, CA
It was the starter. The book says it should draw 110 volts, it was pulling 150. Only had the thing 5 months too. I upgraded the the lifetime warranty one so I can take it back in another six months. Cranks beautifully again. Thanks for all the help and advice.