• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical Question

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
So my '69 is not charging properly. I found the 3 pin connector on the alternator harness corroded and the center pin broken off. Installed a new harness tonight. The alternator is putting out 11.9 volts when connected to the battery and 12.2 on the positive lead when disconnected from the battery. I am going to pick up a voltage regulator in the am and try that. The question is does anyone know what is connected to the bullet connector on the voltage regulator harness? Looks like a capacitor of some sort. It is wire #152A in the attached diagram. Just wondering if it is something I should replace with the voltage regulator.

Attachments

• alternator.GIF
    alternator.GIF
    51.8 KB · Views: 28

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's a noise suppression capacitor. It keeps the points in the regulator from inducing pulsating DC in the electrical system. If it shorts it may cause problems but the regulator will work without it. You can unplug it if you suspect it's shorted.

Make sure to ground the new regulator before you plug in the harness.

OP
OP
broncodriver99

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I got the new voltage regulator in this morning. Charged the battery overnight. Holy crap. 14.5V? Seems a little high. The battery was at 12.5V after charging. I thought Fords ran 13-14 volts.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I got the new voltage regulator in this morning. Charged the battery overnight. Holy crap. 14.5V? Seems a little high. The battery was at 12.5V after charging. I thought Fords ran 13-14 volts.

Sounds good. Battery should be a little higher after charging though. Might want to have it load tested.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Yes, it can. An alternator isn't a battery charger, and using a new alt to charge a dead battery can instantly ruin the alt. Read the warranty papers in the alt box. You can get a cheap battery charger for $15-40, or at worst, jump-charge the dead battery off a vehicle with a good battery & alternator, running at high idle.

flynylon

Loc.
Boerne, TX
noise suppression capacitor with Granada VR

It's a noise suppression capacitor. It keeps the points in the regulator from inducing pulsating DC in the electrical system. If it shorts it may cause problems but the regulator will work without it. You can unplug it if you suspect it's shorted.

Make sure to ground the new regulator before you plug in the harness.

Just to double check, but I assume that I can remove the noise suppression capacitor when installing a 1978 Granada voltage regulator. Correct?

Thanks!
mike

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Just to double check, but I assume that I can remove the noise suppression capacitor when installing a 1978 Granada voltage regulator. Correct?

Thanks!
mike

It will work with it or without it.