• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ethanol sucks and am batteries do too!!!

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I thought you had to have a special charger to charge AGM's or is that jut marketing?

Tim

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A little of both. They do benefit from special chargers, but a regular one will do it (especially if it's a semi-smart charger) in most cases of just a standard low charge.

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The globs in your carb look pretty bad.
Are you using E10 fuel?
One of the biggest problems back in the day was rubber parts like the needle valve tips, and diaphragms in the accelerator pump, power valve, and fuel pump. Since then the composition has changed in replacement parts.

But that wouldn't help a bit with the sediment in yours. I've heard of this but never seen it.
Now that I've seen the photos your thread, I found lots of photos just like it on the internet. The explanation given is that ethanol absorbs moisture from the air. Given enough time it will separate back out and end up like your carb. I guess this is why most power tools manuals don't recommend the stuff. Kinda makes you wonder what the fuel tank looks like.
I haven't even looked into my carb since I installed it eight years ago. Maybe I need to do an inspection soon.

'77, 2" suspension lift, 1" body lift, 33" tires. 302, 4 bbl, headers. NV3550, 4.11s, rear posi.

OP
OP
phred

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
The maintainers I use are smart. Designed to keep battery's at the exact voltage. The same maintainers used to keep big genset batteries ready. I just swapped the battery out. If was bad. 0 voltage on the test machine. I'll put it in and see how it does.
I'm gonna check on the 100% gas at the closest station to my house. If it's legit I'll make the trip when ever I need gas for either truck. They both sit a lot especially in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I have a battery maintainer or trickle charger on my 74, Any vehicle that I've stored for any length of time I put a trickle charger on the battery . I've mounted it in side the engine compartment, and have the plug mounted out side on the bumper.

Attachments

• DSCN0779.jpg
    DSCN0779.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN0780.jpg
    DSCN0780.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN0781.jpg
    DSCN0781.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN0782.jpg
    DSCN0782.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 22

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm lucky, I have a 100% gas station 2 miles from my house. They used to carry all three grades but now just 87 Oct in 100% pure.

I run the 87 in all my small engines but the 390FE in the Mach 1 likes the 90 Oct. Guess I'll have to run some booster....

The key to running Ethanol blend gas is to drive more often. If it sits around it collects moisture, starts to separate and then the issues start. I stopped having issues in my Bronco after I started driving it more often.

I use "STA-BIL 360º Marine with Vapor Tachnology Ethanol Treatment" in my boat and it sits all winter and fires right up in the spring. I try to run pure gas in it but that's not always an option when away from home.

Tim

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
What brand of gasoline do you use?

When comparing moisture of the air to your Atlanta air, us corn folk, due to the release of moisture from soybeans, tend run as high as if not higher humidity.

I run Shell 93 in my Bronco...It sits for 6 mos at a time due to road salt and when I pulled the carb top off after having rebuilt it myself 3 years prior, it was just as clean inside. Everything here contains up to ten percent ethanol.

I used to get the green/blue goo from running 100 octane in my Mustang from the local gas station. Once I tuned it to run on 93 octane...Shell gas never gave me any problems.

You also have to watch your local stations. We've had water problems with certain stations in the area as well.

OP
OP
phred

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I run she'll 93 in everything there a station 1 mile from the house. I miss the good old days of 97 hi test with lead for .48 cents per gallon. Imagine how well our stuff would run and how much better the mileage would be without the ethanol.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I run she'll 93 in everything there a station 1 mile from the house. I miss the good old days of 97 hi test with lead for .48 cents per gallon. Imagine how well our stuff would run and how much better the mileage would be without the ethanol.

The good old day's. I use shell in all my stuff, and try to use them for my diesel. Here in Washington, they keep taxing the gas, it's getting way out of hand, I think it's all those California's moving up here;D, I hope their emission laws don't follow them.;D

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The problem I had was the stuff turns a crusty yellow and nothing cuts it. It took out my electric fuel pump in my boat motor. I had a hell of a time getting it off the pump well. I didn't want to take the plating off the casting. Acetone, sea foam, Techron, MEK and various carb and brake cleaners wouldn't remove it. It was formed while the fuel well was still full of fuel. It was very nasty stuff. Fortunately I finally got it off with Barkeepers Friend and various stiff brushes and plastic scrapers.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I've used stabil on my boats but it doesnt do the job for me. Not with California gas.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
We're stuck with ethanol because of politics.
Iowa is the first state in the presidential primary race so no party wants to offend them.
The corn lobby is strong there.

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
Three items needed.

- starter fluid for start attempts
- Deka Intimidator battery
- battery maintainer for parked battery

the duracell batteries they sell at sams are built by the same people :)

i bought an exide at TSC because it was super cheap. only lasted a year and a half. not that i'm mad got my $50 worth. once the weather breaks ill start the rewire and i'm putting in a duracell.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The good old day's. I use shell in all my stuff, and try to use them for my diesel. Here in Washington, they keep taxing the gas, it's getting way out of hand, I think it's all those California's moving up here;D, I hope their emission laws don't follow them.;D

I hope it doesn't follow me too.;)
Living here is life as it should be. We can watch Portlanders on the morning news, and just see it as entertainment.
No, really, it's a better life here in WA.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
The green stuff....I don't think it's from your fuel lines. For some reason when ethanol gas evaporates out to dry that is the residue it leaves. It's weird!

It's common up here especially with toys that sit in their off season and I see it more than I care to. Ethanol absorbs water and that green sh** is usually whats left after the fuel evaporates. I have seen it eat through float bowl drain plugs in a few snowmobile carbs over the last couple of seasons. The av gas trick is good for long term or off season storage since it has no ethanol or other alcohols.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Except for being a blue state with a goofy ass governor
If you look at Washington , by area it's mostly red. What kill's us is those cities Seattle, Tacoma and the biggest contributor is King county. It sucks:mad:

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I was kind of hoping the true loonies from Marin County would move to Canada and screw up that country, They said they would, after the election, but as usual they lied. The big cities are usually the problem. Upstate NY hates NYC and down state Ill. hates Chicago, both have good reason. The goo in the AFB float bowls is a PITA, but I don't know why I haven't seen that in any of my carbs. Tucson gas has some kind of alcohol. I'm not sure what kind. What IS different here? I don't even know anyone who's carb has green goo in their float bowls. Are we using our carbed vehicles often enough, to keep the goo from forming? Is warmer dryer weather the reason?