• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ethanol sucks and am batteries do too!!!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I was kind of hoping the true loonies from Marin County would move to Canada and screw up that country, They said they would, after the election, but as usual they lied. The big cities are usually the problem. Upstate NY hates NYC and down state Ill. hates Chicago, both have good reason. The goo in the AFB float bowls is a PITA, but I don't know why I haven't seen that in any of my carbs. Tucson gas has some kind of alcohol. I'm not sure what kind. What IS different here? I don't even know anyone who's carb has green goo in their float bowls. Are we using our carbed vehicles often enough, to keep the goo from forming? Is warmer dryer weather the reason?
i think it maybe the dryer weather, could also have a little bit different blend. don't know either just thinkin. no way i will not run it my boat or small engines. even the dealers around tell you not to. We have quite a few places around here that sells 100% gas
When we go to Hot springs every year we can't find 100% gas either. may have to look into that link that someone posted:cool:
i know the marinas were wreaking havac on all the boats everywhere for a while

Jaxgtc

Gate petroleum, based on NE Florida has stores scattered over FL, South GA, NC, and SC. The ethanol free is 91 octane, and costs about .50 a gallon more than the comparable, or about .75 more than the lowest grade. They are building the pump into all their stations. Pure-gas lists tons of options in FL, I guess because of boating. I feel like my EB runs better with it.

http://mygatestore.com/StoreLocator

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I deal with ethanol sugar gel all the time in my line of work. It eventually compleletely crystallizes in to something that resembles brown sugar. It trashes boat fuel systems to extreme degrees. I once cut open a ruined 60 gallon fuel tank and extracted an entire 5 gallon bucket of ethanol sugar out of it....to show the customer that paid for the new tank what happened to his old one. Got another fuel tank build this week. ....ethanol has been very good for the marine repair business....but very very bad for the marine industry as a whole. We've brought lawsuits at the Federal level but they keep getting tossed.Grrrrr

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I would bet that green goo has nothing to do with the ethanol in your gas. We have E10 year round and it has never caused a problem in any of my cars or small equipment which sits for months at a time. I talked to our local power sports mechanics and they have seen no changes since ethanol was added with regard to maintenance, blown engines, or anything else other than some old rubber hoses don't like it. I suspect a API generated conspiracy is behind it all.
I beg to differ. My next door neighbor who is an outboard mechanic makes a good living since they mandated E10 in my state. He works out of his house and I get to see first hand he is constantly rebuilding carbs and that green stuff is what is in them.
I should have bought stock in 2003 in fuel/water separators and Marine Stabil.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I beg to differ. My next door neighbor who is an outboard mechanic makes a good living since they mandated E10 in my state. He works out of his house and I get to see first hand he is constantly rebuilding carbs and that green stuff is what is in them.
I should have bought stock in 2003 in fuel/water separators and Marine Stabil.

All true. I just ordered another, larger ultrasonic + heater tank just for marine carbs and EFI components. Buddy of mine that runs a marina up the road now keeps two of those running full time and, get this, had to hire a full time shop helper just to keep up with the ethanol-induced repair orders'

Of course no marina that sells gas - not a single solitary one - sells anything but non-ethanol. Texaco even has what they actually sell as their "marine blend". The problem is...your average boater is a trailer guy and fills up at the gas stations. My big cruiser has never had the slightest fuel system issue ...because I only fuel her up at marinas.

Oh..and you should see what that "green goo" will do to brass components if let sit long enough. I've seen entire jet ski fuel pickup assemblies rotted clean off, for example. Brass!...something totally unaffected by non-ethanol gasoline, of course.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Of course no marina that sells gas - not a single solitary one - sells anything but non-ethanol. Texaco even has what they actually sell as their "marine blend". The problem is...your average boater is a trailer guy and fills up at the gas stations. My big cruiser has never had the slightest fuel system issue ...because I only fuel her up at marinas.
It's good that your state at least gives you that option. My f...up state won't allow anything other than E10. I live in a waterfront neighborhood in the lower part of Delaware and some folks take fuel totes to a place near Ocean Pines, Maryland to get non-ethanol gas.
My argument is that if E10 is so great, offer both E10 and non E10, and let the free market decide.
Our politicians think they are a little bit smarter than everyone else.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Pure gas is a general term used to designate "no Ethanol" meaning it's not blended with Ethanol. Yes, gas without Ethanol still has all the blah blah blah long chain hydrocarbons, benzenes, additives, etc.

All I know is this, I've had tones of issues with Ethanol gas turning to jelly in carbs both small engine and large that I don't seem to have without non-Ethanol blended gas. You clean enough carbs filled with jelly and you don't think twice about paying a few pennies more for 100% gas or whatever you want to call it. Cleaned my dads golf cart fuel system 3 years in a row over the jelly. He started running Ethanol free gas 2 years ago and he's not had a single issue since.

Tim

Lawndart

Loc.
Ethanol blends have lower energy density
Ethanol blends absorb water until it triggers phase separation
Ethanol blends have a larger impact on the environment and would cost more if not subsidized
Ethanol blends don't play well with rubber
Ethanol blends lead to huge mono-crops

I have converted a few friends. The non-ethanol (pure gas) pumps in our area (midwest) has grown in the past 5 years due to demand.

I downloaded the database from puregas.org and imported into my GPS. On trips were I don't know the stations, I can see the ones without ethanol - they get my business.

OP
OP
phred

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Hey Tim I don't know what voodoo or witch doctor cast a spell on your equipment but could you share it and send it to everyone else. I've rebuilt so many carb because of this garbage I can do them in my sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I think this statement is KEY

The key problem is that ethanol absorbs water from the atmosphere. In fact, fuel with 10 percent ethanol absorbs up to 50 times more water than standard gasoline. Older gas tanks found in many classic cars vent to the atmosphere, increasing the likelihood that moisture will be absorbed into the gas tank at a rapid pace. A gasoline/ethanol blend absorbs water until it triggers phase separation. The blend has a 90-day product life in a closed tank, but lasts just 30 to 45 days in a vented tank often found in classic cars. With 10 percent ethanol blends, owners are supposed to replace the fuel in vented tanks about once a month by driving or draining, taking into consideration the humidity in the atmosphere and temperatures.

Humidity is different in all locations so conditions and results vary. It's always humid here in the south no matter the season. I had/have all of my issue when things were not driven or used. My 69 Mach 1 sits up all winter as does my boat and most of my small engine stuff. My 4 wheeler sits all summer (used during hunting season only). My dads golf card sits most of the winter. My issues in the Bronco were due to not driving it often. Once I started driving it all more and only filling the tank 1/2 way (would need to buy gas more often) the issues stopped.

As I said on an earlier post, usage is a factor in all of this.

Tim

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
This morning I bought 6 gallons of 90 octane ethanol free gas from the local distributor. It was $2.87/gallon. His business is picking up for E0.

He told me that they add the ethanol after the gas goes on the truck. He gets people coming in all the time asking about it and many of them have just spent $900 or more having their equipment rebuilt due to ethanol damage.

Last edited:

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I think this statement is KEY

Humidity is different in all locations so conditions and results vary.

I seen this first hand this fall when I siphoned the gas out of my jet skis to put them up for the winter.
When I went to put the gas in the wife's Explorer I cleaned the funnel by dumping some gas through it into a coffee can. It was a very humid day with the wind coming off the ocean. In the time it took to dump 5 gallons in the car I looked at the coffee can and the gas was cloudy. I'm thinking "holy shit, did I just fill the car with contaminated gas?" So I dumped some more out from the second 5 gallon can from the same jet ski and in a open coffee can you watch it pull moisture out and go into phase separation in minutes.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I get 2-3 better mpg without ethanol in my dd. I have confirmed this over 20 times

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You clean enough carbs filled with jelly and you don't think twice about paying a few pennies more for 100% gas or whatever you want to call it. Cleaned my dads golf cart fuel system 3 years in a row over the jelly. He started running Ethanol free gas 2 years ago and he's not had a single issue since.

Tim

Exactly. Unfortunately, in my area, only the marinas sell ethanol-free gasoline.:(