• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 5.0 Cam Position Sensor

jimschulz

Loc.
Eastern Washington
I am finishing up my 5.0 EFI explorer swap and have a question on installing the Cam Position Sensor. The manual says to install with the arrow on the clocking tool facing the front and parallel to the engine center line. I have #1 at TDC of compression, and when I stab the sensor it is either to the left 10 or so degrees or right 10 or so degrees. There is no way to get it to point straight forward without removing the clocking tool, which I know is not what I want to do. Is it fine to have a slight clock left or right as long as the tool has the body lined up? Thanks in advance!

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Howdy. If I recall correctly, the sensor only indicates combustion or exhaust side of the cycle, not accuracy like a encoder does. Check around some more, but I don’t think one tooth one side or the other of perfection is an issue

I don’t recall being perfectly accurate when I installed mine

Hank

Broncobowsher

Total hack
How fresh is the timing chain? You might need to advance the crank a few degrees (ATDC) to account for chain stretch.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
If that's an aftermarket synchronizer its very well possible the gear was installed slightly off causing it not to be in perfect centerline ,,try to determine if your going to have cam sensor wire connector interference with front dress brackets, the best way to sync is when the engine is running using a LAB SCOPE capture cam and crank waveforms and dial in perfect,, if off by enough it can cause drivability and set fault codes so having it set right is important..

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I am finishing up my 5.0 EFI explorer swap and have a question on installing the Cam Position Sensor. The manual says to install with the arrow on the clocking tool facing the front and parallel to the engine center line. I have #1 at TDC of compression, and when I stab the sensor it is either to the left 10 or so degrees or right 10 or so degrees. There is no way to get it to point straight forward without removing the clocking tool, which I know is not what I want to do. Is it fine to have a slight clock left or right as long as the tool has the body lined up? Thanks in advance!

It doesn't matter if it isn't pointing straight ahead or any particular direction. You only need to clock the blade to the tool when at TDC on #1. The sensor doesn't know or care which direction its pointed in.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
It doesn't matter if it isn't pointing straight ahead or any particular direction. You only need to clock the blade to the tool when at TDC on #1. The sensor doesn't know or care which direction its pointed in.

Agreed. This is the closest I could get my 01 motor in the 71 I sold... Fresh timing chain/oil pump.

Attachments

• IMG_20160308_150822_772.jpg
    IMG_20160308_150822_772.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 44