• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 5.0 EFI swap with RJM Harness - Way more info than you ever thought possible

70_Steve

Old Guy
I believe the trick is to put something you wont lose like a stick (soft is key here) in the #1 plug hole then turn the engine over with the crank (might help to have the trans in neutral and tires blocked for this) until the stick moves up. If you have skinny fingers you can probably feel the top of the piston come up or look in with a flashlight if you are working on a stand or dont have inner fenders. You now are either right on or 180 off. From here I am not sure what the trick is but I am sure there is one.
Turn the engine over with a socket on the harmonic balancer bolt (crankshaft). This is easiest done with all the plugs out, and, yes, trans in neutral and tires blocked. Put a finger over the #1 spark plug hole, and turn the engine over until you feel the air in the cylinder push out past your finger. That way you know you're on the compression stroke. Then continue to turn the engine over until the timing pointer aligns with TDC on teh harmonic balancer. Or, if you can't see the timing pointer, use something soft (eraser end of a pencil?) and hold it a little ways into the spark plug hole. Turn the engine over until you feel the piston contact the tool in the hole. You can then feel when the piston is at the top of it's travel. Obviously, using the timing pointer will be most accurate.

Install the distributor with the body in the proper orientation, and the rotor just slightly counter-clockwise fromwhere you need it to wind up. Not sure if the explorer motor is any different from other 289/302/5.0, but on those engines, you want the rotor to point to about the one o-clock position. As you drop the distributor down, the rotor will spin slightly clockwise, due to the curve of the distributor gear.

Attachments

• 5-0 HO Firing Order.jpg
    5-0 HO Firing Order.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 151

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Looks good! Now when are you guys taking a vacation to Durango so you can help me with mine?

Whats the difference in your harness for the Explorer alternator? I guess I need to have that changed on mine:-X

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
Tito,
Which headers are you planning on using. I'm about two steps behind you on my transplant and I'm currently finishing collecting on the parts and pieces. The headers are next on the list.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Great thread and very timely. I just finished my 5.0 mustang/explorer engine and am going to drop it in very soon.

I see no EGR spacer or block. Did you block the ports in the heads? If not you're gonna have hot exhaust right behind the TB.

The ports are in the exhaust manifolds that I believe and I plan to use my stock Bronco manifolds. I'll double check on it.

Thanks Recko, yeah 19lb, thats what I get for doing that at 2 am ;D

Steve, perfect thanks for clarifying!

Needabronco...he sells an extra pigtail that plugs right in, I'll have to check my explorer wiring to be sure it isnt the same.

Stretch going to try and use the stock Bronco manifolds.

joe

Bronco Guru
The ports are in the exhaust manifolds that I believe and I plan to use my stock Bronco manifolds. I'll double check on it.

Stretch going to try and use the stock Bronco manifolds.

i dont know for sure but........ i dont think stock bronco manifolds will work with the p (straight plug) heads. please let us know how it turns out. i dont think explorer manifolds will work either, they hit the frame. some say chucks headers work with boot insulators but.....exployer headers will work with modifications. good luck.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I'll know real soon. My understanding is that they will work fine but have to be removed to change spark plugs. Cool thing is the explorer came with heat shields for the plugs as well as the heat socks. I'll test out the manifolds today sometime.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
The Exoloder manifolds will work, I think you may need to do some kind of modification similar to what people do when they use the Mustang manifold. I've seen a few installed, I've just never asked about them...

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
The Exoloder manifolds will work, I think you may need to do some kind of modification similar to what people do when they use the Mustang manifold. I've seen a few installed, I've just never asked about them...

If you go with the stock explorer manifolds, I wonder how the later ones would work. This link as a comparison of the early explorer 5.0 headers and the ones that came later with the P heads... http://www.mercuranger.com/Exhaust/factory_explorer_headers.htm

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Those explorer manifolds are a joke to look at, we'll see. I guess if they work for the explorer they'd be good enough but I am going to try the Bronco ones and go from there. I cant afford any more big $ items like Chuck's headers. They are nice but I cant drop 5 plus bills on that. I didnt even pay that much for the whole explorer ;D
My heads are GT-40P heads.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
And FWIW the 37/64th drill bit and 3/8 tap will be available for rent. Freakin cost $25 for the pair that I will likely never use again so save yourself the coin and just have me send them to you when you need them and we can ship it around to who needs it.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Tito,

I don't beleive the stock manifolds will work. If you look at how the plugs come out of the P heads your manifolds will likely hit them before getting them on. Good luck though, I have been wrong before. Hey kbldawg did you ever find an explorer engine? :cool:

Ben

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
tito,
Just FYI, I had Wild Horses shorty headers on the orginal engine and there was no way they would work on the P heads. I want to say that the last plug on the drivers side interfered with the headers installation.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Tito,
Are you planning to use the external oil cooler? I was thinking about using mine once I had the engine in place so I could check the fit. If not you'll need the filter to block adapter, F1AZ-6890-B (about $6).

Dowd

Loc.
Springfield, OR
Great, great, great thread Tito! Did I mention that it is a great thread? You are going to save me time and headaches not to mention money and sanity.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Tito,
Are you planning to use the external oil cooler? I was thinking about using mine once I had the engine in place so I could check the fit. If not you'll need the filter to block adapter, F1AZ-6890-B (about $6).

I hadnt attacked that yet and removed it prior to install but it looks to fit fine so I will reinstall it as long as it will still work with the crossover pipe. Kind of a nice little addition. And if not thanks for that part #. Where can you get it at, just Ford?

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Great, great, great thread Tito! Did I mention that it is a great thread? You are going to save me time and headaches not to mention money and sanity.

You got it bud, there seemed to be all the info out there but it was spread out and no good pics of the sensors and mods needed to be done.

Let me know if you need to borrow the drill and tap.

RnrdTheFox

Loc.
Superior, CO
I hadnt attacked that yet and removed it prior to install but it looks to fit fine so I will reinstall it as long as it will still work with the crossover pipe. Kind of a nice little addition. And if not thanks for that part #. Where can you get it at, just Ford?

I couln't get this to work. The cooler would clear the frame just barely if you shaved off the lip that guides the filter, but no way no how could I get the filter to work w/o tilting the motor way back. At that point it starting to hit the firewall and the tranny's tail was getting too low.

Last edited: