• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

explorer 5.0l with 4r70w trans What headers?

fordtrucksrule

Guys i am doing a explorer swap with the 4r70w transmission. What headers have you guys been going with that gives clearance for the transmission dipstick tube as well as Clarence on the bell housing? Also i noticed that the the transmission dipstick barely clears the hood have you guys run into that?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
P heads. The engine is out of a 1996 explorer

That's a contradiction.
'96 is the one year without P heads.
P heads were an early '97 introduction.

Stock Explorer dipstick works just fine. Only requires a new tab to be welded on if running a 351. But other options exist if you want to spend more money.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I used the stock stick / tube from a Mustang. I think it is shorter than the Explorer but I am not sure that one was wrecked when I got it.

For headers I used Hedman because I had them. I needed to cut and reweld the passenger side collector to get them to fit.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
Interested to, I have a 97, so it's the P heads . I'm planning a swap . I think BC Broncos and Bronco Hut offer a header they say will work. Will the Stock exhaust manifold work ? What about using the Y pipe ? Is there any of the exhaust from the explore that can be used ?
Didn't mean to Highjack , just seeking the same information

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Interested to, I have a 97, so it's the P heads . I'm planning a swap . I think BC Broncos and Bronco Hut offer a header they say will work. Will the Stock exhaust manifold work ? What about using the Y pipe ? Is there any of the exhaust from the explore that can be used ?
Didn't mean to Highjack , just seeking the same information

Yes, you can use the factory Exhaust manifolds...
The 96 tubular steel ones look very restrictive, the cast iron ones from the later years are reported to be just as restrictive... I have not noticed in my 98 motor, but then it is stock configuration and I still have EGR.
No, you cannot use the factory Y-pipe without extensive Mods...

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I used the stock stick / tube from a Mustang. I think it is shorter than the Explorer but I am not sure that one was wrecked when I got it.

For headers I used Hedman because I had them. I needed to cut and reweld the passenger side collector to get them to fit.

I used the one from the Explorer and used a conduit bender to angle it downward...

Attachments

• DSCN2244.jpg
    DSCN2244.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 117

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For p heads, unless you're a fabricator, definitely go with bronco hut...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
fordtrucksrule

fordtrucksrule

Thanks guys for the reply. You're right 904 and bronco bowsher. The motor i have has the 3 bar gt40 truck heads. I was looking at the bronco hut's headers it looks like they will work has anybody else used these? I would like to get an opinion on these on how they hold up.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I've got the bronco hut headers, they are made by Sanderson. They work perfect and clear everything.
As far as the dip stick, just bend it down a bit. I didn't even use a tube bender on mine, it doesn't take much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 98

BroncoChicken

I have the BH headers, they are good, but the BH exhaust...not so much. Get a custom exhaust made so that it actually fits.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I have them the BH headers as well on my 351W with E7 heads. The only issue I has was the P side inner finder had to be trimmed/modified just a bit for clearance. Took all of 5 minutes to do it and after that everything fit nicely.

Will be mounting them up on the GT40P's in the coming week.

Tim

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
X3, or is it 4, for the Bronco Hut/Sanderson headers. Mine cleared everything with no problems. My only gripe is I preferred the cone type 2 stud flange on the JBA shorties on my previous, non-P engine over the traditional 3 bolt flat flange on the BH headers.

I used the factory trans dipstick and tube with no mods. I have a 2" body lift that may have helped with the clearance on it.

OP
OP
fordtrucksrule

fordtrucksrule

Ok i will order the headers and continue the dry fit of everything. I will look into just bending the dipstick tube. FYI i am running the Mustand heater hose tubes because i am planning on doing a 4 port bulkhead in the firewall to run the AC lines as well as the heater hoses.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Heater tubes are the explorer unit. Pretty much everything I did was with all explorer stuff.