• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer serpentine minus power steering?

pgilchri

Loc.
Glasgow, MT
Does anyone out there know if you can run the Explorer serpentine with out the power steering pump? I understand that you can eliminate the A/C by running a shorter belt which I plan to do, but I don't have the $$ to spring for power steering right now.

If its not possible...can I put the pump into an infinite loop by running a hose between the high pressure out and the return?

Thanks,
Patrick

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK, I just went outside and looked. The drivers side bracket only has PS and AC. It looks like you can remove the PS pump, but you would need the AC there in order to run a belt. It would be basicly the same as deleting the AC.

If you have neither then you would need some sort of idler pulley. You need something on the drivers side in order to route the belt in a manor that wrap around all the pulleys in the right direction.

No clue on belt length

OP
OP
P

pgilchri

Loc.
Glasgow, MT
Thanks Broncobowsher. If I keep the A/C instead of the PS would the A/C pulley act like a idler pulley as long as I dont wire it in?

-Patrick

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
I like the idea of plumbing a steering pump in a loop. You're gonna add power steering eventaully anyway, right?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Thanks Broncobowsher. If I keep the A/C instead of the PS would the A/C pulley act like a idler pulley as long as I dont wire it in?

-Patrick

Correct, A/C compressor is an idler unles the clutch coil is energized. Keep the pump, you will want that when you add the power steering and hydroboost.

bannind

Todd,

Think you have to add a 4 on the front of that number - 4060832 - for the Goodyear Version (available at partsamerica and such).

NAPA number on that would be NBH25060832

(spent way to much time lately taking belts back and forth to the damn store)

Something that has worked for me. I print out the shopping list with the lower quality of the two belts that NAPA offers and then go to have it price matched at the local Shucks. At the store I went too they didn't have the lower quality belt in stock, so they gave me the top quality Gatorback belt at the lower price. (yes, I did tell them that there was a difference. As I have grown up, this stupid conscience has afflicted me - they gave me the good belt version to keep my business). Saved me 15$ on the last belt I bought.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Todd,

Think you have to add a 4 on the front of that number - 4060832 - for the Goodyear Version (available at partsamerica and such).

NAPA number on that would be NBH25060832

(spent way to much time lately taking belts back and forth to the damn store)

That might easily be. There was a 25 on a separate line on the cardboard sleeve I have - the last time I quoted the number with a 25 in front of it and someone bitched that it wasn't the right part number so I just left it off this time :). Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Todd Z.

bannind

:) sorry - I had to pipe in.. I rarely have anything to contribute of any value to this forum, so I figured I had to get in while I can.. I am sure they would probably yell at me at the parts counter also, if they didn't feel I was mentally handicap'd when I walked in there. They keep on giving me the look when I say I need a M/C from 77 x and then a alternator regulator from a 93 X.. I am sure they think I am either challenged or have 5 different automobiles of very little value sitting at home.