• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer serpentine timing pointer

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Yeah dirt I super appreciate the input. It's a 95 mustang block with the explorer serpentine setup including harmonic balancer.

I was expecting the top dead center mark to be somewhere directly below the water pump pulley or close to the crank sensor.

My very careful TDC test yesterday put the 0° TDC almost 90° over to the passenger side!

What's even stranger, there's a great write-up on the explorer serpentine conversion on this site which tells you that the sensor missing tooth is at 60°, my missing tooth is clearly right at the 30° mark.
so my 96 explorer balancer.the missing tooth is in line with the balancer key way TDC and there are degree marks stamped in the outer ring, the zero mark of that stamping is at the leading edge of the third tooth ATDC, so with the #1 piston at TDC the crank sensor will line up just pass the 5th tooth and the pointer I have lines up with the TC mark.... just looked at mine and the pointer you got is the wrong one Ill add pic in a second..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Post#4 picture... That does not appear to be the correct pointer for an Explorer set up, looks to be an earlier 302 style.
Maybe a cause for your interference?
I will have to look for an extra pointer, that I have somewhere, to send you a picture
That is what I am seeing as well. Need the Explorer pointer, not the Mustang pointer.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I was just browsing around cause it occurred to me that pointers are not the easiest to read sometimes and it's such an important thing.

I know this thread is slightly old, but @Johnnyb , you mention that the TDC mark is NOT where you'd expect it to be but you're expecting wrong. The TDC mark does NOT go at the top of the crank when at TDC, the only thing at the top of the crank when at TDC is the KEY in the crankshaft. Sometimes there might be a mark there, but the mark needs to be where the the pointer is as that's what you're looking for.

So, in short, yes, that timing mark is at about 45° from the top, which is absolutely the right place for the stock Explorer timing pointer.

Here is a shot of me setting my cranking timing at 10° BTDC with a stock Explorer balancer, crank trigger, and pointer:
1699546817118.png

Hope this helps the next person trying to figure this out. Sorry I'm late.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
ORDERED one for my build on Rock Auto....super cheap and all I needed was the pointer part so wasn't so much concerned about the quality of the sensor