• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer swap

chuck1022

Contributor
I plan on using the stock exhaust manifolds off my 2000 donor. Any clearance issues to be aware of in my bronco

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The stock explorer 5.0 manifolds are very restrictive, plus dump straight down not sure if they would hit the frame rail or not.
I believe there are better options from the vendors that are not that much money

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
The stock explorer 5.0 manifolds are very restrictive, plus dump straight down not sure if they would hit the frame rail or not.
I believe there are better options from the vendors that are not that much money
I respectfully disagree...
The 96 tubular exhaust manifolds are restrictive. There is probably some restrictions in using the later P-heads cast iron manifolds (plus having to use a metric oil drain plug to plug the EGR supply port if not retaining EGR). But considering the options out there, such as the Sanderson headers once sold by Bronco Hut (which were pricey), they are a viable option.
Since he has a 2000 motor, then it will have p-heads, he can use the factory manifolds, do some grinding on the stock Bronco manifolds, or something aftermarket.
The Drivers side dumps downward and there is minimal interference. (It has been a while since I did a manual Trans swap, but don't recall an issue) Passenger side is a little different. It kicks backward and it is tight fit with the frame and cooling lines for the 4R70W. (I use the Explorer 3/8 lines and put a heat wrap on them) Having the trans dipstick tube in the vicinity also makes things tight. My local exhaust shops have had good success in building a system that fits. It is helpful to keep the first couple of inches of the factory Explorer exhaust pipe, with the flanges.
I have done 5 Explorer swaps, while I don't claim to be an expert, I will say that I have had some experience...
I will say that it is a night and day difference when you remove a factory Bronco smog/carburetor motor and replace it with a stock Explorer EFI motor, even if you retain the cast iron manifolds with a single exhaust.

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
I keep reading about the pleads and spark plug issues. I figured if I kept it all stock from the explorer....I would avoid the spark plug issues. Maybe the answer is to find a 1996!!!!

The 96 tubular exhaust manifolds are restrictive. There is probably some restrictions in using the later P-heads cast iron manifolds (plus having to use a metric oil drain plug to plug the EGR supply port if not retaining EGR). But considering the options out there, such as the Sanderson headers once sold by Bronco Hut (which were pricey), they are a viable option.
Since he has a 2000 motor, then it will have p-heads, he can use the factory manifolds, do some grinding on the stock Bronco manifolds, or something aftermarket.
The Drivers side dumps downward and there is minimal interference. (It has been a while since I did a manual Trans swap, but don't recall an issue) Passenger side is a little different. It kicks backward and it is tight fit with the frame and cooling lines for the 4R70W. (I use the Explorer 3/8 lines and put a heat wrap on them) Having the trans dipstick tube in the vicinity also makes things tight. My local exhaust shops have had good success in building a system that fits. It is helpful to keep the first couple of inches of the factory Explorer exhaust pipe, with the flanges.
I have done 5 Explorer swaps, while I don't claim to be an expert, I will say that I have had some experience...
I will say that it is a night and day difference when you remove a factory Bronco smog/carburetor motor and replace it with a stock Explorer EFI motor, even if you retain the cast iron manifolds with a single exhexhaust

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
What’s the last year for the explorer 5.0 ?
I saw a cheap V8 explorer for sale near me , ($900) was a 4wd . Not sure if that makes the swap easier or harder .

OP
OP
C

chuck1022

Contributor
What’s the last year for the explorer 5.0 ?
I saw a cheap V8 explorer for sale near me , ($900) was a 4wd . Not sure if that makes the swap easier or harder .
1996-2001

1996-1997 (early models) have the angled plugs.

1997.5-2001 have the p-heads. Allegedly better performance...but they have plugs that stick straight out causing exhaust issues.

1buckeyefan1

I will say that it is a night and day difference when you remove a factory Bronco smog/carburetor motor and replace it with a stock Explorer EFI motor, even if you retain the cast iron manifolds with a single exhaust.

Doug probably has the most experience in this dept (5 swaps!), so i'd trust his opinion.

I went with the Broncohut stainless headers designed for the Gt40P heads.. which I don't think they sell anymore (or are in business?). Sanderson still makes headers that fit, but you have to special order from them or a distributor now.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was thinking of the earlier exhaust and the way it shares a port in the exhaust seems it would impact flow, but again just by looking at it. And if you have to create a whole new exhaust and can get toms headers for under 300- bucks, thought it would e an easier way to go.
But you done it and I appreciate the information.
I know who to call now whe my explorer motor is finished

I'm wondering if it is worth going with the Sanderson headers over stock manifolds? The big issues is EGR, if I dont use the stock manifolds I will have a check engine light. But is that an ok trade off for the Sanderson headers???? Thanks

Jedeka

Contributor
I bought Sandersons for my 2000 engine. I haven’t installed the engine yet.

Attachments

• C89EB4C6-BE76-4E7C-8990-6BDEB8AA67DC.jpeg
    C89EB4C6-BE76-4E7C-8990-6BDEB8AA67DC.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 5D655C06-7887-419E-8CEA-CB7BFE966223.jpeg
    5D655C06-7887-419E-8CEA-CB7BFE966223.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 41

betzgb

Contributor
I have 12 sets of new Sanderson headers from Bronco-Hut as part of their closure. PM me if interested. I run them on my 76 exploder setup and they are great headers.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I used the stock 98 Explorer exhaust manifolds along with the factory plug wires and shields. I don’t know of any restrictions you’ll notice if your 5.0 if stock. The Explorer manifolds fit very nice on an EB. I’ve done 3 builds using the stock manifolds. Two with C4’s, 1 with the 4r70w.

Mark

jmhend

Bronco Guru
I have the BC Bronco shorty's on my explorer engine and they work fine. Apparently they are no longer selling them or have a ordering issue I don't see them on their site.

I think they are made by Sanderson anyway.