• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer vs. New V8 Conversion Radiator

Little Thad

Loc.
Georgia
I picked up a 1998 5.0 EFI for my 1966 inline 6 conversion project. I got a good used Explorer radiator as part of the deal. What are thoughts on using the Explorer radiator versus buying on of the Griffin, etc. conversion radiators? I would love to save the $$ and reuse what I have.

ransil

Bronco Guru
What you have is too wide.

what you need if your on the cheap is a 94 explorer radiator, needs fab work but last I check new replacement units were under $100, might need to go junkin for the bottom rubber donuts

search this site for it the explorer radiator

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I think the 4.0L Explorer radiator is the best one to use, cheap and cools very well.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Yup, I second the 4.0 radiator - ~$100 at any auto parts store with a lifetime warranty. Can't beat that!

OP
OP
L

Little Thad

Loc.
Georgia
4.0 Radiator

4.0 radiator for what year/model?

Are there any adapter kits to use it in the EB or do I need to create hangers?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There have been a few discussions over the years, but not for awhile. You'll need to make your own mounts completely unless someone has come up with a bolt/weld on part in the meantime.
It's kind of a trick mounting method, with large rubber grommets that the "pins" of the radiator fit through. Looks like a good isolator, but is definitely not going to fit into the stock EB mounts without some serious tweakage.

Maybe someone will post up pics of theirs, but definitely take some photos of what you do, if you decide to go this way.

Paul

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
I just used two pieces of angle. Welded each to the frame rails and two pieces of 1/2 inch pipe bolted through the core support for the top two mounts.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I just used two pieces of angle. Welded each to the frame rails and two pieces of 1/2 inch pipe bolted through the core support for the top two mounts.

You could have problems mounting it that way. If the bottom is mounted to the frame and the top to the core support twisting could cause a crack/leak in the radiator. It's best to mount the radiator to the core support top and bottom.

Last year when I went to Moab, out of the three of us Ransil didn't have any overheating issues. He had the 94 Explorer radiator.
So when I had my stock Bronco radiator lower rubber mount break which caused major contact issues with my fan. I decided on the 94 Explorer swap along with the serpentine system.

I went to the junk yard and grabbed the rubber grommets along with a fan shroud. I bought a new radiator thru work and I have less than $100 in parts. I cut off the stock mounts and made new mounts. I have less than an hours time in mounting the new radiator. It is really easy and well worth it.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Another Option:
I ran my factory Rad with a cross over pipe from WH.
Lower hose is the factory one (Gates), with sections removed from it.

Upper hose is a Goodyear (from Summit) 60710. Put a splice in the middle of it and did a zip tie to the Aluminum shroud. (The Goodyear hose is different from the Gates and Dayco ones)

Add the Ron Morris shroud from WH, modified (lowered) to work with the 1" body lift.

Probably not as cheap as the $100 wreaking yard Rad and parts...

Attachments

• DSCN2088.jpg
    DSCN2088.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN2089.jpg
    DSCN2089.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN2090.jpg
    DSCN2090.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Geez Doug... Let's paint that master cylinder tomorrow!
That's just a bloomin eyesore, is what it is. ;)

And a darn nice looking setup! I knew it was nice of course, but it's nice to see it together and running this time. Can't wait to crawl around and under it.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Allen, Did you use the 4.0L 94 Explorer radiator?

I'm sure Allen will confirm, but I believe that all '94's were V6 only anyway. Not sure what they did to the later models with the 4.0, or if they were different. Anybody try a later 4.0 radiator? Same issues as the V8, or more like the '94?

Paul

OP
OP
L

Little Thad

Loc.
Georgia
904 Bronco - when you say factory radiator, what radiator spec are you referring to? Explorer 5.0? Original Bronco 302 rad?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Factory "Bronco" because the V8 Explorer radiator is still too wide as mentioned earlier.
If you've got one already, you can verify this by simply laying it inside the engine compartment and seeing if you think you can make it fit. If I remember, they're way wide compared to an EB radiator, and would not fit into the stock mounts.
Your '66 is at even more of a disadvantage as your radiator opening is probably the smaller Inline-6 size, rather than the later, larger opening.

What 904 has in his pics looks like a stock radiator for the Bronco.

Paul

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Hey Allen, Did you use the 4.0L 94 Explorer radiator?

Yes, 94 4.0 Explorer. When going to the junk yard I saw a mid 90's 4.0 Ranger and they are different.

I'll try to sneak down to the garage thus evening and snap a few pictures.

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There have been a few discussions over the years, but not for awhile. You'll need to make your own mounts completely unless someone has come up with a bolt/weld on part in the meantime.
It's kind of a trick mounting method, with large rubber grommets that the "pins" of the radiator fit through. Looks like a good isolator, but is definitely not going to fit into the stock EB mounts without some serious tweakage.

Maybe someone will post up pics of theirs, but definitely take some photos of what you do, if you decide to go this way.

Paul

We used this radiator and welded the lower mounts to the frame. The radistor is pretty free to move until you bolt the top mounts to the core support. Under really hard wheeling you might be able to crack the radiator from body twist, but I think you would have to break a body mount first.

Attachments

• DSC02201.JPG
    DSC02201.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC02202.JPG
    DSC02202.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC02203.JPG
    DSC02203.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC02205.JPG
    DSC02205.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC02208.JPG
    DSC02208.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 97

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Stock fan shroud - fits perfect. I hacked off the stock clamp mounts and mounted the radiator directly to the core support. I never mounted the bottom - the lower hose held it in place just fine - but some angle with some heater core hose 5/8" would give a nice place for the bottom pegs to ride. I didn't want to be able to twist the radiator, so I left mine float.

IMG_20130615_102444_563_zpsaf4fff0b.jpg

Older shot-
2012-08-25_11-10-32_250.jpg

I cut and turned the factory upper hose with a piece of exhaust tubing and did the same on a powerstroke lower hose.