• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

fan to radiator distance ??

unclebap

Loc.
High Desert, ca
What would be the best distance between the rad and the fan blades? is there a problem running the fan too close?
Thanks Pat

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
A min. of 1". More is better. On a EB you can't get too much without cutting something. If you have less than 1" you have a good chance of the fan biting the radiator.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
I just got off the phone with Jason at BC Broncos (thanks for all the great advice). I asked him the same question and he told me that it should be at least 1" to accomodate any frame flex offroading.

Prior to yesterday, I was running a WH staggered 4 core with a Duff pusher fan in front and the stock fan and shroud behind the radiator. When you try to squeeze in a pusher fan in front it gives you very little clearance (1/4-1/2") between the fan and radiator. When I tried a smaller fan spacer the fan hit the pulley, so I left the stock fan spacer in. Even with all this and "Chuck's 10 Things" I still built unaccepatable temps in traffic and offroad.

I just finished a WH 1' body lift and installed a "Radiator Guard " while I had the shroud off. This gave me even less clearance ("1/4"). All seemed good until I drove up a slight incline yesterday and the fan started hitting the "Radiator Guard". Before I could shut it down the plastic rods that hold the "Radiator Guard" in place gave and the fan grabbed the "Radiator Guard" and put one of it's mounting points through the radiator, trashed the fan shroud and mangled the "Radiator Guard". The "Radiator Guard" is a good idea, but mounting it through the radiator with plastic rods it a bad idea. Sorry about the long rant but I just had to get it off my chest.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
COBlu77 said:
I just got off the phone with Jason at BC Broncos (thanks for all the great advice). I asked him the same question and he told me that it should be at least 1" to accomodate any frame flex offroading.

Prior to yesterday, I was running a WH staggered 4 core with a Duff pusher fan in front and the stock fan and shroud behind the radiator. When you try to squeeze in a pusher fan in front it gives you very little clearance (1/4-1/2") between the fan and radiator. When I tried a smaller fan spacer the fan hit the pulley, so I left the stock fan spacer in. Even with all this and "Chuck's 10 Things" I still built unaccepatable temps in traffic and offroad.

I just finished a WH 1' body lift and installed a "Radiator Guard " while I had the shroud off. This gave me even less clearance ("1/4"). All seemed good until I drove up a slight incline yesterday and the fan started hitting the "Radiator Guard". Before I could shut it down the plastic rods that hold the "Radiator Guard" in place gave and the fan grabbed the "Radiator Guard" and put one of it's mounting points through the radiator, trashed the fan shroud and mangled the "Radiator Guard". The "Radiator Guard" is a good idea, but mounting it through the radiator with plastic rods it a bad idea. Sorry about the long rant but I just had to get it off my chest.

The purpose of the radiator guard is to stop the fan from digging into the radiator when the body or engine flexes and causes the fan blade to touch the radiator. Once the blade touches the radiator the blade will auger in until the fan blade folds backwards. If the flex is too great or the radiator guard is not in the center of the fan (not the radiator) bad things happen. The mounting rods are nylon so are very strong. My guess is one of the above bad things happened but if you feel that the rods failed send them to me and I will see what I can do with the manufacture.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
Chuck. thanks for offering on the failed rods. I didn't buy that fan guard from you and probably didn't have it centered with the fan, so I'll suck it up.

The reason I was talking to Jason was I had just ordered your 3 core radiator, new shroud, Derale fixed blade fan, and a new "Radiator Guard". The order said the fan would not work with the guard, so I was discussing that and fan clearance with Jason. He spent about ten minutes letting me ask questions and describing how his Bronco was set up for cooling. I hope I'm done playing with the cooling system.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
It is true, the fixed pitch fans are bent at the tip so they would cut the radiator without hitting the guard. If we sent a guard to you send it back. Also, check your body mounts. With a body lift the body tends to move and the higher the body lift the more it will move. Also check the front mount brackets where they are welded to the core support and check your engine mounts also.
P.S. if the radiator guard is one of mine the offer is still good.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Chuck,

Just getting ready to set mine up. Ordered the guard from you yesterday. I am gonna run the stock fan.

Is there anything I should watch for? I DO NOT want to destroy my Ron Davis!!

thanx!!

:)

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Check the things in the above post.and be sure you have a least 1" between the rad. and fan. more is better. You can get very close to the pulleys.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
I was told not more than 1 and 1/2 inches so that the fan will pull through the radiator and not around it. The fine folks at Seattle rad swear that more than that is defeating your porpose

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
feitcha, they could be right about the 1 1/2", I had not checked that. The fan needs to stick about 1/2 way into the shroud or the fan will suck air around the shroud and not through the radiator. With the radiator in it's stock location I don't think you can move it back far enough to make that happen without hitting the pulleys. And I don't recall ever seeing a bronco with more than 1 3/4" between the radiator and fan. But I have seen a lot of smily faces on radiators that had less than 1" including mine.