• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

First Bronco, have questions

Skunkybud

Loc.
Coors Country
Just got my first EB, a 1976 Bronco Sport. its uncut and mostly stock. I wish to keep it that way but looking for color & stripe options. I already ordered the build sheet but may want to look at other 1976 color options. Any idea where I can get some pics or other historical information on what a bad ass 1976 Bronco Sport looks like?

Also, any other tips for a new EB owner would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton!

tobinj

Loc.
Martinsburg, WV
welcome, get your checkbook out, get a tetanus shot, get your checkbook out some more, put a fridge in your garage for beer, tell you loved ones you will never see them again, get your checkbook out some more. Those are the basics for this new addiction you just acquired. Cant help on the paint thing but if you run a search their are a ton of options.

OP
OP
S

Skunkybud

Loc.
Coors Country
Thanks! The beer fridge and tools are all set. The checkbook is great advice. Any idea on how difficult it is to replace both gas tanks?

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This thread is worthless without pics!!! :) Welcome and have fun with it.

frenchy

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Did anyone say checkbook yet? If not, Checkbook........LOL

Welcome to the addiction. My name is Tim and I have a problem.....I'm a broncoholic going on 17 years now..........

Tim

OP
OP
S

Skunkybud

Loc.
Coors Country
good advice. Just posted some pics. Need to replace the aux gas tank and figured I may as well do both at the same time.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
Hey Skunky...You have a nice Sleeper there...Congrats and Welcome to the addiction...

Hank_

Bronco Guru
welcome, get your checkbook out, get a tetanus shot, get your checkbook out some more, put a fridge in your garage for beer, tell you loved ones you will never see them again, get your checkbook out some more. Those are the basics for this new addiction you just acquired. Cant help on the paint thing but if you run a search their are a ton of options.

My favorite quote of the year. The sad thing is that its true.;D

Henry

1971BroncoSport

Thanks! The beer fridge and tools are all set. The checkbook is great advice. Any idea on how difficult it is to replace both gas tanks?

The question was lost here --- tank replacement.

1. Aux tank. (Does it have fuel in it?)

- If yes - get a floor jack and jack under the skid plate to hold it up.
- Remove/loosen the hoses on the back of the tank - should be 3 or 4 of them. (screwdriver/nut driver for the hose clamps on main hose and the vent hose; pliers to pinch the clamp on the vapor hoses) Easiest to get tank down removing hoses from tank - not filler neck.
- undo the sending unit connection (round and has wires on it)
- Loosen the J bolts that hold the straps up at the back side - hopefully not too rusted.
- if you take the J bolts loose, the straps will release at the back and the slid plate will hold up the tank
- let the jack down and the skid plate and tank will ride down. The straps are still connected at the front of the tank - and you won't be able to get them loose until the plate and tank are down.

(Mark the straps so you remember which one is longer than the other - I've made that mistake - twice)

2. Main tank

- Remove skid plate assuming it has one.
- Remove hoses as above described
- Remove sending unit connection
- Remove bolt holding the strap - should only be one this time.
- Lower tank

I don't think I have missed anything - others chime in.....

ILikeBond

Welcome!

Here are the swatches for '76. To see the colors on actual Broncos, check out this thread - Master Picture List of Original Colors

ford_1976_truck_ppg_c_01.jpg

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Welcome to the addiction. That's a nice little stocker you got there. Can't wait to see what it becomes (Unless you cut it :-X)

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Re: the gas tank, you might want to just remove the aux tank for now and install a 23 gal in the rear. The 23 gal rear tank doesn't cost much more than the OEM replacements, and is a bit nicer.

The 2nd tank is cool looking and for some nice to have the extra capacity, but there are a decent amount of problems associated with it that I'm just going to use the single 23gal rear tank.

Welcome to the fold! I have a 76 as well that came from the factory Wimbledon white, probably looking very similar to yours :)

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Welcome, welcome to the greatest classic bronco board on the planet.

Come see us on the second best board on the planet (posted below)

Would love to see you join us CO bronco junkies at an ACB event.

OP
OP
S

Skunkybud

Loc.
Coors Country
thanks for the info. This board has been SO HELPFUL. Would love to attend this CO event. Will join Alpine Classics later today. Thanks!!! I think I will do the larger tank and avoid the headaches of the aux tank.