• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FiTech EFI pre-order info

bteutsch

So far so good.. I thought I had a real problem with the system over the last week, I was getting a rough idle, then a back fire under acceleration. I changed spark plugs, plug wires, rotor and distributor cap and all my problems went away. I can idle at 550 rpm now where before maybe 850 was the lowest I could go. When I pulled the wires from the old cap, there was a lot of corrosion on the terminal ends. The wires, and distributor cap were only about 3 years old with 10,000 miles on them.
Now I just want to drive it as much as I can before OCBR, looks like its a solid kit. Definitely great tech support. They answer right away and really work to help solve any issues you have, really great people to work with. I feel like I have more power now than I did with the carb setup I had before, but I guess part of that could have been the plug wires and distributor cap. Sure cranks better, and even cranks right up when it's hot.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
what type and brand of wires were you running?? 10k isn't that many miles for wires...

bteutsch

I had pertronix wires, distributor and coil. Think some of my problems may be related to bad grounds. I put msd 8mm silicone wires on it and I'm still getting a light show around the spark plug boots, I went ahead and got another coil also. I was getting arching from the positive and negative posts to the center section where the plug wire connects. Picked up some ground straps today. Going to add some grounds. Everything has been repainted so don't know if my grounds are that great. I was advised by some mechanics that I work with that would be a good place to start. It's already running better. No more rpm noise fault code in one trip to town and back, idles lower also.

Glad to hear you got your kit!!

Can't wait to hear the results!!

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
got mine today. will do the install tomorrow morning and we'll see how that goes. Didn't come with a fuel inlet line for the hose to connect to though. Hoping to get away with the one from my carb with a high pressure clamp.
Fingers crossed!

ChrisC74

Will install mine tonight, let me know what you do with the 10mm plug

10mm plug is to cap off the return port on the throttle body if you are not running a return line. You are going to think you are missing one of the larger bolt looking plugs but it is the smaller plug that fits the return.

drock

10mm plug is to cap off the return port on the throttle body if you are not running a return line. You are going to think you are missing one of the larger bolt looking plugs but it is the smaller plug that fits the return.

ChrisC74, how is your install coming along? Looks like a few guys on here now have this system.

ChrisC74

ChrisC74, how is your install coming along? Looks like a few guys on here now have this system.

Actually it is coming along really well. I was going to stay quiet until it was finished and I drove it a little but that plug is a head scratcher and I had to call FITech and ask b/c it looked like the kit was short a bolt plug.

Mine is probably going easier than someone replacing a carb b/c Phred installed my Howell TBI a few years ago and this is really just going behind that and pulling out one part and replacing it with the new one.

Engine started last night and sounded awesome. Hopefully buttoned up tomorrow and can give a blow by blow.

FITech has been responsive, had a problem with the handheld and a new one is supposed to be on the way.

bteutsch

1d3509a668c96d58ac2672f42ea8cca7.jpg

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
OK so I installed this morning. Keep in mind that I already had the Edelbrock sump kit fuel pump from my E-Street system installed. This system will work with the Edelbrock sump but their fuel command center is less expensive. But seeings how it was the only part of the Edelbrock system I didn't have problems with I l used it.

I removed the E-Street throttle body last month and put my carb back on. I sent the E-Street throttle body, tablet and ECU back to Edelbrock for them to test. On week three and haven't heard anything back from them. Unfortunately it's out of warranty which is my fault for holding onto it for too long before installing.

Removed carb and installed throttle body. There is much less wiring involved than the Edelbrock unit as you will see. If you look at the picture with the carb on it you will see the harness on the passenger side where I had the ecu mounted.

If you order this kit without the fuel system you will have to get a -06AN fitting for your fuel line. Speed shop had them so I purchased there.
The air cleaner hold down is tapped to 5/16 so if you don't have an adapter you will need to get one if yours is the 1/4". Very cheep at any parts store.

Ported vacuum is on the back so I had to pickup some longer vacuum line to run my vacuum advance.

I had the fitting already for the O2 sensor so I used that as well. Plenty of wire to reach the exhaust even with long tube headers.

You will need to run a second temp sender if you want to keep using your stock gauge. I have a Weiand manifold which has two ports but you can use the port on your thermostat housing if you have one there.

Got in in and wired up. Set up some general info on the hand held and it came to life. Had to adjust the idle down as it was running around 1100 rpms at temp. Got it set to 750 and holds there at +/-50 which is far better than the E-street ever did.

Drove around for a while and the only have a couple of issues, The RPM is slow to come back down to idle, I think bteustch had this issue as well. I will go back through the post check for the solution.
Also, like ChrisC74 I have a problem with the hand held unit. The power cord seems to have a short in it so it will go blank at any time when handling it. Annoying, yes but they're sending me a new unit and cord.

Now I'm not going to bash Edelbrock but I think they could learn some customer service skills from this company. Fitech has responded to all my emails within an hour and have always answered their phone. It's been weeks since I sent the E-Street back, with no response from their tech department. I know they got it (the tech I dealt with signed for it) and have all the info with the problems. No returned calls or emails.

So far so good with this unit. My truck drives strong and smooth with no surging, backfires, stalling. I will take it up and down some inclines tomorrow and report back on it's performance.

Attachments

• 545.jpg
    545.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 232
  • kit contents.jpg
    kit contents.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 214
  • fuel sump.jpg
    fuel sump.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 222
  • O2 sensor.jpg
    O2 sensor.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 204
  • temp sender.jpg
    temp sender.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 204
  • throttle body.jpg
    throttle body.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 204
  • fuel fitting.jpg
    fuel fitting.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 208
  • finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 210
  • finished 2.jpg
    finished 2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 205

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
the Edelbrock sump works the same as the fitech fuel system. it gets fed from the stock pump off the engine. I like these setups because I wanted to keep both tanks and not have a bunch of plumbing to re-work.
I ran a tee in the vent line on my spare tank filler neck to vent the sump and have had no issues. Just make sure there is a vented cap. I've read in other forums that some vent to atmosphere. I found that running the vent to the spare tank cut the garage fumes down to close to nothing.