• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FITech - Won't Start

a74ranger

Loc.
Athens, GA
Finished my FITech install today and it won't start. Getting fuel to the TB. Turn key on, injectors click and it briefly starts and dies immediately. Very frustrating after spending two days plumbing new fuel lines and installing kit.

Would welcome any ideas to try before I have to call tech support Monday.

broncoman82

Loc.
Blairsville Ga.
If you are not using the Fitech to control timing make sure under timing control its set to tach only.you will find it under the initial settings. If that's good make sure your getting a good tach signal to the sytem

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
...I'm totally don't know anything about that system..
BUT I JUST BOUGHT A JEEP & IT'S computer system has a security FEATURE in it . If the light is flashing It'll start for maybe a second & then die. It was giving me a fit until I discovered that I have to disable the security system & Then it'll start & run ..
.... What I'd done ...I kept unhooking the battery each time I walk away from this project. It has some rat damage on some of the wiring & I don't want to return & find it burned to the ground in my shop. So each time I came back to it & If that light was flashing it'd start & die. Maybe your system has that feature but no light . Dis able the security & It'll run.
........... Just my 2 cent worth.

OP
OP
a74ranger

a74ranger

Loc.
Athens, GA
If you are not using the Fitech to control timing make sure under timing control its set to tach only.you will find it under the initial settings. If that's good make sure your getting a good tach signal to the sytem

I've checked and it is set to tach. I had to use a clamp type wire splice to my -tach wire. Maybe I need to recheck that.

broncoman82

Loc.
Blairsville Ga.
I would start there also if you have another teach setup/ hooked up I would disable it for now and hook just the fitech tach wire up so you know it has a clean signal. Doesn't take a hole lot to make this system work. You may also want to cycle the key a few times if you have an electric pump just to make sure you have purged the system.

OP
OP
a74ranger

a74ranger

Loc.
Athens, GA
I would start there also if you have another teach setup/ hooked up I would disable it for now and hook just the fitech tach wire up so you know it has a clean signal. Doesn't take a hole lot to make this system work. You may also want to cycle the key a few times if you have an electric pump just to make sure you have purged the system.

What do you mean by teach/setup? I have the controller hooked up when I'm cranking. Do I need to unhook it or disable something?

I installed an electric pump in my tank. When I turn key on, pump runs a few seconds, injectors click and pump turns off. It says I have around 60 psi on controller.

I'm also wondering about the white wire. I hooked it to the same wire that was hooked to my electric choke on the card. I thought it had power power on both starting and key on.

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
I think he meant if you have another tach setup installed. Maybe the fitech isn't getting a clean signal since the tach is also using it. So for trouble shooting disconnect the tach and connect the fi pickup wire directly to your tach signal wire. At least that's what I get from what broncoman82 is saying

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I'm also wondering about the white wire. I hooked it to the same wire that was hooked to my electric choke on the card. I thought it had power power on both starting and key on.

No, it does not. It literally gets power from the alternator and only has power (less than 12v) when the alternator is spinning and charging. It's not connected to the battery power in any way other than what it's pulling from the alternator.
Assuming we're talking about the original Ford wiring, it would actually be White with a black stripe. That's what Ford used for the electric choke on Broncos.
If this is the case, then that is indeed your stator wire from the alternator. If you need 12v in start and crank, find another source.

In a Bronco there are only two wires that have that characteristic that I know of. The Red w/green wire to the original ignition coil (resistor wire so not a full 12v either) and the Green w/red wire to the original voltage regulator.
Other than getting a jumper from the starter relay on the fender (small Brown wire) and assuming the ignition switch is still functioning as designed, those are the two with a voltage signal during crank and run.

Paul

OP
OP
a74ranger

a74ranger

Loc.
Athens, GA
No, it does not. It literally gets power from the alternator and only has power (less than 12v) when the alternator is spinning and charging. It's not connected to the battery power in any way other than what it's pulling from the alternator.
Assuming we're talking about the original Ford wiring, it would actually be White with a black stripe. That's what Ford used for the electric choke on Broncos.
If this is the case, then that is indeed your stator wire from the alternator. If you need 12v in start and crank, find another source.

In a Bronco there are only two wires that have that characteristic that I know of. The Red w/green wire to the original ignition coil (resistor wire so not a full 12v either) and the Green w/red wire to the original voltage regulator.
Other than getting a jumper from the starter relay on the fender (small Brown wire) and assuming the ignition switch is still functioning as designed, those are the two with a voltage signal during crank and run.

Paul

Thanks Paul. After doing some searching last night, I am going to try another source for the start and run power. I have an AAW harness. Will update progress today.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can use the RD/GRN wire that Paul mentioned for the ignition coil to activate a relay which you can hook up to 12v

charlesawhite

I have the AAW harness too and I'm using the brown choke wire and it works fine. Did you connect or block off all the vacuum ports?

Big Fish

Loc.
Bakersfield
fUEL

Sounds to me that pump works a cranking and no power to pump when key goes to run. Check to see if fuel pump still pumping in run

OP
OP
a74ranger

a74ranger

Loc.
Athens, GA
I finally figured out that I had a bad splice into the tach terminal on the coil. I also connected the white wire from the FITech to the fuel pump circuit on the AAW harness. Fixed those and she fired right up. I appreciate everyone's help. Will report back on how she runs after I get all this wiring cleaned up.