• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford Godzilla Crate Engine

Jmjuhl

Contributor
Loc.
Cypress, Texas
Has anybody mocked one of these up in an EB to see if it will fit. I know the height is an issue but can be solved with shorter aftermarket intake and oil pan. Already being addressed by mustang guys cramming them into Fox bodies and such. It's narrower than a Coyote and weighs close to a WindsorÂ…I would think the biggest issue would be core support to firewall distance and radiator clearance but on the surface it looks close.

430HP/475 Torque make it very comparable to a 408 Stroker crate motor from Blueprint and builds power down low.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you not build a very nice stroked 351W that will fit no problem and make it perform just as well as Godzilla?
-The beauty of the windsor is it's simplicity and reliability.

OP
OP
Jmjuhl

Jmjuhl

Contributor
Loc.
Cypress, Texas
Can you not build a very nice stroked 351W that will fit no problem and make it perform just as well as Godzilla?
-The beauty of the windsor is it's simplicity and reliability.

Just exploring all engine swaps before moving forward with my build. If simplicity was the deciding factor I would just rebuild the 302 that's in it.

I want to run fuel injection and 351W, or Stroker variants will require some adders (mustang/explorer efi, wiring harness, ecm, or aftermarket efi system, etc.). If there is an option available that rolled out of a current Ford plant with modern fuel injection, modern wiring, ecu that were all designed to run together then I want to at least look at the feasibility.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Last I heard they still don't have control units built for them yet. Has that changed?

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have mocked up a 7.3L Godzilla in a rolling chassis with a 6R80 behind it with an AA Crossmember.

I just had flat plate bolted to the motor mounts on the motor and used the motor mounts that BC uses for the Coyote mounts. With the BC type mounts in the frame perches and resting on the engine plate mount it could be welded up as is, or moved back if needed.

The 7.3L is Long. Very Long. Since I did not have a body on the chassis I was not able to see how far back I could move the whole engine / transmission assembly. The front of the oil pan touches the Front Crossmember on the Frame. The Exhaust manifolds that come on the Crate Motor dump out right on top of the frame rails and keep the motor from being lowered down completely.

The bottom of the Oil Pan clears the Dana 44 but not by much. If the whole assembly was able to be moved back a couple inches, oil pan clearance may be fine?

The 7.3L is also Very tall. An after market hood and Body Lift would be enough to clear though.

For an Early Bronco install, shorty headers will have to be made, and moving the engine/transmission assembly back when used with an AA crossmember if possible.

OBR is the only Power Pack available for a complete install. It's Very expensive compared to a Ford Coyote Power Pack. I am waiting for the Godzilla Ford Power Pack. Why Ford sells a complete Godzilla Crate Motor with No electronics available is beyond me???

For a custom install, I think it's very doable but with a lot of mocking up to do.

Last edited:

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
7k for the crate motor doesn't seem bad but over 4k for the control pack with adds is a killer. I agree, ford should support this engine with a cost effective option.

OP
OP
Jmjuhl

Jmjuhl

Contributor
Loc.
Cypress, Texas
7k for the crate motor doesn't seem bad but over 4k for the control pack with adds is a killer. I agree, ford should support this engine with a cost effective option.

I am assuming the Ford control pack pricing will be in line with the Coyote in the $2kish range when it is finally released. I am still in early stages of planning so I have some time to wait on a control packÂ…but I want to get my drivetrain solidified before moving forward.

Spaggyroe

I believe that Power by the Hour can help with a godzilla control pack.

I also don't understand why Ford would sell the crate engine but not have a control pack available for it...???

powers4680

Hellabad Broncos out of Texas is currently building a Godzilla Bronco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Hellabad Broncos out of Texas is currently building a Godzilla Bronco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes they are so far it looks like it fits, will see when they start putting the tube on;D The frame does look wider to me but maybe it isn't?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210427-104906_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210427-104906_Instagram.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 387
  • 20210526_132716.jpg
    20210526_132716.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have also spoken with Power By The Hour and they ARE NOT going to make a Control Pack for the Godzilla.

OBR is the only game in town for the Godzilla Electronics. $$$$$ about 2 times as much, with all included, as a Ford Coyote Control Pack.

A major delay for ECUs now does not help. Common Ford, hustle up!

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Also following this thread. Debating my Stroker motor vs crate engine - but not for $3000+ with home depot fittings screwed into the fuel rail.

Transmissions that will fit:

ZF S5-47M (1999-2002 F-250+ 5.4L)
ZF S6-50 (2002-2010 F-250+ 5.4 and 6.8L)

The biggest issue with those particular years is that the parts basket was full, there are three separate output shafts 31 for the 5.4L, 24 for the 6.8L and 34 for the 6 speed so it gets a little confusing and limiting when it comes to transfer cases.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I wonder if you could use the Holley Terminator X for controlling the motor. Seems you should be able to.

Little bit of research is showing they are some working on it. The cam timing may be an issue. Something to look at.