• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel leak

TheVazha

Where is a common place to leak from?

I filled up yesterday and after a short drive I smelled gas. I pulled over and sure enough, I was dripping from the rear. It was warm and evaporating fast so I couldn’t figure out where it was coming from.

We had to remove the rubber gas tank filler hose to have a little more room for the rear leaf install. Could it be possible that in pushing it out of the way it has a crack that I couldn’t see? I really had to torque on it and be rough with it during leaf install. And what are those two tiny holes coming off the gas tank?

751bf8942c4ffd9e392b1e24a7c49649.jpg

The stains in this pic were wet with gas. Also this bolt had a drop of fuel hanging from it. It stopped leaking when I turn the car off, but then leaked again when I drove. Could I have overfilled and that rubber hose isn’t sealed or is old amd cracked and the sitting gas in the tube leaked?

b3d8c5b905442f1c72fa6ac43b3567b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

armynavy17

Contributor
The two ports on the side of the tank are for EVAP (condensate tank and/or charcoal canister) and EFI return it you have EFI. It's completely possible these got disturbed when you did you leaf spring installation. Either way you're always likely to have a leak from them when the tank is on the filler side if they aren't connected to something or capped off. At the very least it'll smell like gas all the time.

It's also possible the sending unit is leaking, but I'd fix the other problem first.

OP
OP
T

TheVazha

Are both of these supposed to be plugged?

It appears the one on the left might be the source of the leak as the tank was full full..

a03cd7fb139d36450d55f33104a98a0c.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Neither one is "supposed" to be plugged. From the factory both were connected to the EVAP/Charcoal Canister system as mentioned. If you cap them off completely you may have trouble with building up pressure inside the tank. For example going from a cold morning to a hot afternoon the gas expands and the pressure needs relief and the vapors need somewhere to go. Your correct gas cap is designed to not allow them out that way, so things can get wonky sometimes.

If you leave them open you'll smell gas especially after filling up.
There are half-way measures that can get the job done (sometimes) and there is also hooking it all back up the way it was designed.
What year is your Bronco? Do you still have a plastic tank behind the driver's seat (shoulder area)? Do you still have a metal charcoal canister over on the passenger side frame rail near the front wheel?

paul