• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel not flowing!

stingus

Loc.
Nashville,
Driving down the highway, bronco bogs down till it cuts off. waited 5 minutes cranked up, went another half mile and did the same thing.
Looking at the fuel filter, gas is spurting every now and then but not enough to keep running. Here's what we've done so far: changed plugs, wires, filters, replaced the fuel pump, cracked fuel lines and still no luck.
We have actually put on two fuel pumps in the past day with the same result. Now we're gonna try an electric fuel pump to see if that helps. Both tanks full as well.
Any help as to what might be going on would be much appreciated!

bohntr28

Loc.
Mesa
Is it possible that the tank selector switch got hung up between both tanks? Not very likely but just a thought...

bohntr28

Loc.
Mesa
Did you replace the gas caps recently? Are they vented? you may try to run it with them off.

OP
OP
S

stingus

Loc.
Nashville,
Checked that as well, but its still doing the same thing. might be a good idea to replace them anyway it sounds like.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Or just leave them off to see if makes a change. That way you can avoid just changing them out if they're still working. Not that replacing old parts is "bad", but it's a pain when your money-spent doesn't equal problems-fixed.

Did you blow compressed air back through the tanks and flip the selector switch to get each tank? Listen for the air through the lines and at the tanks. You might also find a small pin hole leak somewhere that's allowing the pumps to suck air.
My feeling is that if three separate fuel pumps didn't do it, an electrical one won't either. If it does though, it's still not a problem with the pumps, but with something upstream.

Did you replace all of the fuel lines?

Paul

OP
OP
S

stingus

Loc.
Nashville,
Don't think they have all been replaced. I believe the problem areas were replaced. My mechanic is who is doing the work on it right now and we're going back and forth trying to figure this out. I have the same concern about the fuel pump not truly solving the problem.
Should i get all the fuel lines replaced just in case?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I probably would, but only after exhausting all other possibilities maybe. Since it sounds like you've replaced all the rubber stuff, you might be ok other than the "sock" filters on the end of each sending unit inside the tanks. Hence the compressed air suggestion.
Even though the stock plastic line can be in perfect condition even after all these years, you don't want to overlook something simple either.
However, if it's flowing good air, it probably is not the plastic line. But any rubber should go bye-bye at this point.

Have you verified that the carburetor float is not sticking too? I had an ongoing problem for awhile way back when. It would run out of fuel, and my clear filter would show now fuel in it, but when you smacked the float bowl with the heavy handle of a screwdriver or, something like that, to open the needle-and-seat.
Great to see an instant surge of fuel into the filter and then the carb. Then the truck would run fine for a little while until they stuck closed again and I had to go through the routine again.
Finally graduated to a hammer later, when the lighter handles stopped working. Which, of course, made me feel better, but didn't do anything for the carb's cosmetics!

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Maybe a stupid question but are you out of gas? Also any leak in the fuel line prior to the pump will cause air to pulled in instead of fuel.

OP
OP
S

stingus

Loc.
Nashville,
Not a stupid question, can't tell you how many times I've run out of gas before. Both tanks are full. I asked my mechanic again about the fuel lines but he said he had replaced any area that seemed to be a problem.
I started to feel it drive differently right after i changed my plugs/wires/ air filter and fuel filter. It didn't feel like it had as much power. Any chance I could've screwed something up in the process?

bronconate

Loc.
Edgewater
This is a long shot but you never know. When my father and I were building a stroker for our old hot rod, we had the exact same problem. The problem was the fuel filter itself. We had used one of those clear little deals that most people put just before the carb, got rid of the cool clear one and got a regular ole' metal one, problem solved. Try running it without filter. Maybe it got clogged or its just crap. Either way you can process of elimination it out without spending any more frogskins.

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If your fuel filter is an inline type, did you install it the correct way. The arrow should go toward the carb...just a thought...

Ryanmk12

Not sure if this is right but I had somewhat of the same problem because my vaccuum wasnt acting right.

OP
OP
S

stingus

Loc.
Nashville,
This is a long shot but you never know. When my father and I were building a stroker for our old hot rod, we had the exact same problem. The problem was the fuel filter itself. We had used one of those clear little deals that most people put just before the carb, got rid of the cool clear one and got a regular ole' metal one, problem solved. Try running it without filter. Maybe it got clogged or its just crap. Either way you can process of elimination it out without spending any more frogskins.

I wil definitely try that tomorrow. thanks!

Bulletman

I've had two similar incidents,,,,,,, one was fuel pump, to make sure I took the line off going to the carb BEFORE the fuel filter, cranked it over, it was barely pumping, a new pump cured it. The other truck was that the filter sock in the tank was clogged,,,,,,, we blew air thru the line and when we pulled the tank a couple of year later (for another problem) I tore into the sending unit/pickup and found that we had split the sock and thus got fuel to the pump.