• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel sending unit - local purchase?

ltcbutch

Loc.
Selma, AL
I have searched the site with no luck trying to find a part number so I can go to local parts store. Is this item through the venders only? Do Ford dealerships carry?

I know some have made the Jegs unit work but I want a no hassle fit.

Thanks.

Last edited:

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Buy one at one of our great vendors and support their hard work at keeping our rigs running strong.
They are a direct fit, fit and work great, and are stainless now. 90% of the ones I've pulled out have all been rusted at the pickup tube. No problems here with the new ones.

backpain

Bronco Guru
If you are running a stock gauge, find out if BCB has the non-linear versions yet.

OP
OP
L

ltcbutch

Loc.
Selma, AL
Ordered today

Just ordered one from a board vendor. ;)

Was looking for a quick fix without waiting on shipping. Ford Dealerships only go back to 1980 for parts.

As I have suffered many times, yet continue to ingnore the fact you have to plan ahead for parts and work. Just don't find our parts at the local shops.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Just ordered one from a board vendor. ;)

Was looking for a quick fix without waiting on shipping. Ford Dealerships only go back to 1980 for parts.

As I have suffered many times, yet continue to ingnore the fact you have to plan ahead for parts and work. Just don't find our parts at the local shops.

UMMM, no they don't. ;) i'm Ford parts GOD for over 28 years....most parts guys now are either too lazy or not smart enough to find obsolete or even "old" parts for cars. PM if you ever need anything. i do my job and i do it very well....:cool:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I didn't look deeper into it Itcbutch, but since it says "MTS" sending unit, make sure you talk to someone there (if you haven't already that is) to make sure it will fit the stock tank.
I'm only saying that because MTS is a manufacturer of replacement plastic tanks and it might be a sending unit of a slightly different nature than original.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Take tasker up on his offer too! I remember being very depressed when my local Ford dealer parts guy told me that the higher-ups finally made him (literally MADE him) throw away the old Microfiche viewer and all the old data cards!
He'd been the local go-to guy for years after they went to the new system, and had kept that active in a dark corner of the shop so he could look up the old parts. Many of which were still available at the time, but not searchable in the modern databases.

Oh well. We got our good resource guy right here.

Paul

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
THANK YOU! i'm here till thursday......try the veal! ;D

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
make sure you talk to someone there (if you haven't already that is)
Paul

Good advice, Paul, but looks like he already ordered. Hopefully he called and asked questions since the listing says "No Return".

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Take tasker up on his offer too!

Oh well. We got our good resource guy right here.

Paul

Yeah, I'm glad there's one good Ford parts guy still out there. Thanks Tasker!
Better believe I'm PM'n you when I need something. If I go to the Ford counter and ask for anything pre '89 here in Chicago, they look at me like I have monkeys flying out my butt. ;)
"Um...is that a Full Size Bronco". ;D

OP
OP
L

ltcbutch

Loc.
Selma, AL
NO return

Yes, I am going to be a little upset if it is not the unit I need. I asked the guy what the difference was and he said NONE. He said the unit is the same they still sell and he didn't know why they had some in closeout. Guess I might need to call back again. Anyone know who I should ask for?

Thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The good news is that, if someone said it was the same, then they should at least take it in return if it turns out not to be correct. Hopefully...
It's possible that they just want to get rid of them because, as an MTS brand, it's a different part number than their normal one, so they don't want so many parts to look up and have hiding on a back shelf somewhere and not making them any money.

That's just one scenario though. Hopefully it's the correct one for your use.

Paul

OP
OP
L

ltcbutch

Loc.
Selma, AL
Galvanized

Just spoke with Pat at Graveyard.

The closeout units do fit the stock tanks:

1. They sell the stainless and ran out at one time.

2. Bought up a batch of these galvanized units to fill the void.

3. Now have their stainless back in stock and are getting rid of the galvanized units.

Fingers are crossed this works out. Ready to let the girl eat some gas!