• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Getting amp gauge to work after one wire alternator install

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
I recently switched to a one wire alterantor that is working great, but I presume due to the one-wire design, have lost my gauge. Anyone know a fix for this???. I left my existing VR in place and the old wires are taped - Can I somehow tap into this for the gauge??

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Is the new alternatoer more then 60 amp? if so then don't try to use the stock wiring.
If the new alternator is only a 60 amp unit then all you need to do is remove the wire that goes from the alternater to the battery and attach it to the heavy gauge wire that was on the original battery.

The gauge will only show +-60 amps. The thing is the stock wiring really shouldn't be running that much current muchless what an upgraded alternater can put out.

Generally we ignor the stock gauge and put in a volt meter. Really slick is converting the stock amp meter to be a volt meter. There are instructions on this site somewhere.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The stock amp gauge is inductive - it doesn't run off the IVR. And it's not particularly accurate, or even informative if it's exactly accurate. Install a voltmeter and either delete or ignore that amp gauge.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just out of curiosity kayakersteve, which alternator are you running? And how did you wire it up to the battery? Direct, or with the old alternator's output wire (Black w/yellow stripe)?

Paul

OP
OP
kayakersteve

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
1 wire - 200 amp

DirtDonk = Got through BG and it is hooked directly to battery positive via 4 gauge wire from alternator. Has been working great so far, but would love to have some gauge to monitor in case somthing goes wrong. Will switch to voltmeter, just need to determine witch will fit in factory gauge cluster.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Several are using the standard Auto-Meter/Auto-Gauge type volt-meters I think. There are a couple of good threads here about it. Maybe even a tech-article over on the left there?
And there is also a thread going on right now about refurbishing gauge clusters that's pretty active over in Chat. (edit: oops, meant right here in Tech)
Try a quick search and see if you can come up with something of use to you.

Good luck. Personally, I love ammeters, but wouldn't try hooking the stock inductive type back up with your alternator, and will eventually go the volt-meter route too.

Paul

Last edited:

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have it directly wired to positive on battery as instructions say to do.

Sneaking a volt meter in somewhere is the best way to get an accurate read on what your alternator is doing. And that is true regardless of what alternator setup you are running. I'm sure you've noted that for the last 20 years, vehicles have only volt meters..never ammeters. There is a really good set of engineering reasons for that;)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nah, he was probably winking at me, for still saying I like ammeters.
While I agree that voltmeters are good, and that there are good reasons to NOT snake that major wire all over the place, I still like what an ammeter can tell me.
Just a resistance to change rearing it's ugly head I guess.

Paul