• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Good toggle switches

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
S o I'm rewiring My over heads lights on my Diesel Bronco. I had about 5 KC's up top & I'd got to where I just didn't like them. & Then some young member on here wanted some bolts So I boxed up a couple & sent them to him. Then I found another Guy that had a 4ft LED. probably stolen. After I made the deal. i'VE Sure wondered .
... But I've got the new LEDs mounted up . I've got a couple of 4 inch LED's from Harbor freight & I pulled a 30'' from another Old Bronco That's RESTING for a while. It's mounted in the center up top . & 2 LITTLE ONES on the outsides .
.... I bought 35amp on off from my work . These are stronger in my opinion .
BUT For LED's what amp was really needed .
... But I've got one on Jeep ZJ iT'S ABOUT 30'' & I used maybe a 15amp toggle & It will toast your fingers when turning it off.
It's on it own Independent circuit.
LED 's don't pull any thing do they

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes the led light bars draw more than people realize. I would defiantly do as ransil said and use a relay to operate all your lights. You can use a smaller wire and lighter switch that way as there is no real draw to operate the relay. I run a multi conductor 16 gauge wire inside with one being a hot and jump it to all my switches and use the others as switch legs going back out to relays.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
For LED's what amp was really needed .
That's like asking how many amps a glass bulb draws - it depends on the bulb, and it depends on the LEDs. If it's not labelled for amps or watts (Watts = Volts x Amps, so Amps = Watts / Volts), use a common digital multimeter set to its highest range for DC Amps, and measure 1 LED at a time. Then add all the ones you want controlled by the same switch, and look for a switch rated for at least that much (but double would be better).

If you've already chosen the switch, and there's too much current for it to handle, use the switch to control a relay that can handle the LED current. Then the switch only has to handle the relay trigger (coil) current.