• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

greasing constant velocity joints

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Up on the neighbors lift today greasing the U joints and we had a hell of a time greasing the constant velocity joints.

Any suggestions? Special tool at the end of the grease gun?

thanks,

Muskrat

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds crude, but I have drilled a hole in the floor above (the rear) CV. Roll down the driveway until the zerk lines up and grease away. The hardware stores sell a little snap in chrome cap to cover the hole.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Screw out those stupid needle zerks, screw in a normal one, grease and put it back in :D

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Screw out those stupid needle zerks, screw in a normal one, grease and put it back in :D

That how you running them? I was thinking there would be clearance issues but I didn't test. Oh and good idea/tip :)

Still would have to drop to lube, yes?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
That how you running them? I was thinking there would be clearance issues but I didn't test. Oh and good idea/tip :)

Still would have to drop to lube, yes?

Well, my front drive shaft is a Tom Woods unit, but the rear is factory. Sometimes I can do it in the Bronco, but the thing comes apart on a regular basis anyway, so I just chuck the shaft in the vise, pop the needle zerk out, screw in a normal zerk, grease it, and put the needle zerk back in.

I've got the adapter tool for those, but unless you are 100% straight and the stars align, you get a mess.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I used to use a needle tip, after carefully lining everything up and cleaning. But then i decided that overall, its just easier to take the shaft out, powerwash it, grease it good, then reinstall it. Its a bit of work still, but having it all clean and on a bench to manipulate saves a lot of brain damage and frustration.

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have to agree with some and say it's much easier to pull the shaft and then put in some standard zerk fittings and after lubing it well to put the cup type fittings back in. I have two different needle type attachments for my grease gun to use on the cup type fittings and in my opinion they are worthless.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I like to use one of these little grease pistols with the needle tip threaded on. The one hand operation and lack of a hose makes it easier to get straight-on the teeny little cup. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lincoln-Industrial-Mini-Pistol-Grip-Grease-Gun/15639089

I've found that type to work the best as well - and I remove the driveshafts to grease the centering ball assemblies. It's the monkey and the football trying to do it with the guns with hoses, etc.

Todd Z.