• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Greasing Driveline, CV

rainstorm74

Still in a learning process with our 74 bronco. Is there a diagram available showing all grease fitting locations? Also, any guidance on greasing the CV joints would be appreciated. Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably is a diagram, but I don't have one personally.
You will need a female fitting adapter, or "needle" for your grease gun though. There is at least one female zerk fitting at each double-cardan (or CV) joint for lubing the centering-ball and yoke.
They also get pretty gummed up over the years, so if yours is original and doesn't seem to want to accept any new grease, you may have to poke it with a, well, poker to clear it out. In extreme cases, I've had to use a cleaner like B-12 Chemtool to clear the old dried up crud away.
Flush, rinse, dry, re-grease. For that, you'd probably be better off pulling the few nuts and bolts and getting the shaft to a convenient place to work on it.
Otherwise it can all be done on the truck. You just have to rotate it to different angles to get to some of the fittings.

Good luck! I'm sure someone will have more to add, or corrections to make if I goofed. Been awhile since I had to grease mine.

Paul

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I usually take the t case end of the driveshaft down to get the CV joint grease fitting easier. There should be 5 grease fittings max on each D shafts. Some ujoints are non grease able. but the CV's always are.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Double-Cardan joints aren't technically Constant-Velocity. That's why CV joints were invented. And non-greasable joints are stronger & more durable than greasables, so when it comes time for replacement, make your maintenance easier by buying them. Just be sure to PRE-grease them before installation - that's why most people think they're worse. ;)

Don't forget to grease the tips of each leaf in the rear spring packs (yes, I'm serious). Smoother ride, less noise, & more flex.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Just be sure to PRE-grease them before installation - that's why most people think they're worse. ;)
Hmm.... I installed Spicer non-greasable u-joints in my front axles. If I remember, the install instructions (yes, I actually did read them) specifically said to not add any more grease.

But then, according to a current poll, I'm old, and may not remember things correctly...:cry:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Double-Cardan joints aren't technically Constant-Velocity. That's why CV joints were invented.

I used to be on that same bandwagon. Agreed totally with that assesment. Still do to a certain extent. And even used to correct newbies when they (erroneously, I thought) called a double-cardan a "CV" on occasion.
That was until I found it referenced as a "CV" in a Spicer book from way back.
I'm still with you, but I had to give up my long-held belief that you couldn't refer to a double-cardan as a CV after that. Shattered my whole world it did (for all of about 38 seconds or so) to see that in print by TTSN (those-that-should-know).

Paul

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
...the install instructions ... specifically said to not add any more grease.
If you buy one that's pre-greased, then you're finished pre-greasing it when you inspect to make sure it's properly loaded.
...I found it referenced as a "CV" in a Spicer book from way back.
The engineering concepts from "way back" have been revised... ;) I bet no one at Spicer/Dana would use that terminology nowadays. :D

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I maybe driveline anal but (yow):eek: I like to make sure the lube job has been done properly and not just squirted around the spider. I remove the driveline where I can do it right. The slip joint needs to be lubed collapsed with the collar unscrewed and the vent hole covered. Otherwise the excess grease will sling all over the special geriatric prepared nerf bars when you hit the first bump. %)

67ster

Bronco Guru
Be gentle on the center ball/cup fitting. Too much pressure will dislodge the seal and you will have "stuff" flying off it . My '66 had the B-W style and I bought a small plunger hand pump with needle style attachment .