• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hagerty Insurance a joke

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Remember - everyone's insurance company is the best ever...until they need to make a claim...%)

Amen.

And that's another reason I stick with Allstate...they came through in a big way for me on a huge accident claim (my vehicle..'my' driver's fault..fatality and two totalled vehicles).

And did not raise my rates.

broncobilly72

I have Hagerty for my wood boat, Bronco. Sunbeam, and motorcycle. No problems. Any time you insure a vechile, have it insured for "stated value".

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you want protection get an appraisal done and insure with whomever against the appraisal. Make sure the appraisal is recognized by the insurance company. With the appraisal you will have value documentation by an independent party. When the time comes that you may have to make a claim there is little wiggle room as to stated value. What ever you want covered has to be in that appraisal. I.E. winch, wheels and tires, lockers what ever wasn't on a factory built Bronco.
The insurance claims adjuster will try to get you to sign off on a lesser amount that’s his job to save the company money. After you turn down his amount shove your paperwork in his face and be prepared to get a lawyer involved to protect your interest.
Understand that your 35 year old Bronco has no value in its stock form to your insurance company. It’s just a worn out piece of machinery and its value is such. The courts uphold Nada, Kelly’s and Edmonds as values its up to you to prove your value above those limits and have the proper coverage against your claim. Your agent is as good as your recruiting officer, parole officer, or news paper boy. They don’t write the checks or enforce the rules of the court. So be prepared to fight or accept what Kelly blue book values are.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
I met with my All State agent and told him I want it covered for my stated value, period. I explained it would be garaged and not driven much, but I did intend to go to events such as SOB an drive it on logging roads etc. He took a bunch of pictures a subbed it out to Hagerty. Since I moved recently, Hagerty wanted an updated picture a my bronco parked in the new garage. It's clearly modified, and obviously not a show vehicle. I expect it be covered if stolen while in a store, and I explained that to my agent as well.

Ultimately I not sure any insurance can be trusted :(

Last edited:

msweb

Bronco Guru
I guess your internet is cooperating tonight ;)

Actually, it's still quite the PITA because I have to hit "reload" about 3-4 times to get the page to eventually load but I'm trying to muttle through it and get back in the "Bronco Frame of Mind" in preperation for the Super Celebration ;)

MartyG

Bronco Guru
I went with Haggerty based on a buddy's reccomendation. He has 4 classic cars, drives 'em daily. Had to put a claim in on one...they cut him a check, no problems or questions.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
Seems to be alot of conflicting info on this thread.

IMO what is stated in the written policy trumps anything an agent or phone associate tells you.

There was a mention here about a mileage restriction. No statement on this on my policy nor was this confirmed by interactive chat on haggerty nor have I received some sort of revision in writing from haggerty. I renewed this policy last month and recently received the to and from wits in the mail

It seems some states insurance companies can offer things that they can't/won't in others.

Trust me in saying I'd like to have a less restrictive policy and would pay more for that policy. Unfortunately in NC I could not find quite what I wanted so I ended up going with haggerty.

I also understand the policy has limitations and I just have to live with them untill the day I find something more to my liking.

It was mentioned in this thread about hitting a deer. I have never had to file a claim with haggery but a friend of mine who has a 1950 something Nissan Patrol hit a bear one night. He had/has a policy with haggerty and they paid the claim, nor did the adjuster according to him say something about the lift or off road accessories on the truck. Simply cut a check for the damage.

Best advice is to read the policy

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Seems to be alot of conflicting info on this thread.

IMO what is stated in the written policy trumps anything an agent or phone associate tells you.

There was a mention here about a mileage restriction. No statement on this on my policy nor was this confirmed by interactive chat on haggerty nor have I received some sort of revision in writing from haggerty. I renewed this policy last month and recently received the to and from wits in the mail

It seems some states insurance companies can offer things that they can't/won't in others.

Trust me in saying I'd like to have a less restrictive policy and would pay more for that policy. Unfortunately in NC I could not find quite what I wanted so I ended up going with haggerty.

I also understand the policy has limitations and I just have to live with them untill the day I find something more to my liking.

It was mentioned in this thread about hitting a deer. I have never had to file a claim with haggery but a friend of mine who has a 1950 something Nissan Patrol hit a bear one night. He had/has a policy with haggerty and they paid the claim, nor did the adjuster according to him say something about the lift or off road accessories on the truck. Simply cut a check for the damage.

Best advice is to read the policy

good summation!;)

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
some good info on here about different insurance carriers but some misinformation too. I'm a 33 yr retired veteran of the insurance industry so maybe this'll be helpful.

USAA places their collector car policyholders with another company American Collectors Insurance. They provided me a quote of about $250 for $15,000 stated value on my Bronco but the catch was it could not be taken off road. It had to be housed in a garage and "limited mileage" (no stated number) going to and from club events etc. My Bronco is used almost exclusively off road so I declined.

Better check your collector car insurance for off road use if you happen to take it off road. If you contend you don't use it off road and you do and you have an accident it's possible they could deny coverage for failure to disclose or for lying to them.

An Auto policy is a contract between you and your carrier for a stated period usually 6 months and some are annual. No insurance company is going to change the contract
language during that period. They might stop the policy because of your lying to them or failure to disclose something to them. Any changes in the language would have to be approved by the state in which you reside.

Homeowners policies do not cover autos. They cover residential type houses. If the car is in the garage when the house burns down the car is covered by the auto policy under the Comprehensive Coverage not the Homeowners. If the car doesn't have an Auto policy covering it when the house burns down you're out of luck. I've never seen a
policy endorsement that added auto coverage to a Homeowners.

Auto Liability coverage pays for damages and for injuries you caused to other people as a result of your negligence. If you are at fault in an accident this pays for other people's damages and injuries. It has nothing whatsoever to do with damages to your auto.

Auto Comprehensive coverage covers damages to your auto caused by fire, water, theft, animal collision etc. Basically all damages other than those caused by collision except animal collision such as hitting a deer. Auto Collision coverage covers damage to your auto caused by collision with another object (other than an animal.)

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Mike glad to see you posting also, missed you lately.
....I have State Farm Ins. Mine is just liability . It's 92.45 each 6 months. Sad thing is I only drove it to town twice in the last 6 months . Hum 45 bucks a trip. But I'm out here on our country roads in case I get into a tangle with some one I'M legal.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I had Hagerty for my 65 fastback mustang. I was only suppose to be driving to and from some sort of car related event. Not to be used as a DD. had to be stored in a locked garage, limited mileage. Luckly when I lived in ohio we had a car cruise just about every night of the week.

When I was building the car and I had gotten to a point where the car had some major value to it but was no where ready to be driven i started asking about coverage. For me it turn out my car was covered under my home owners as long as the car was on blocks, no wheels and tires meaning it could not be a rolling car. I built the car on jack stands until I fired it up for the first time and was able to drive it to get it appraised for coverage by Hagerty.