• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hagerty Insurance... that was easy

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I need to know how he got $80K. I was told $65 was the limit.
We can take yours up even more but you need to make some progress! haha. The few pictures I sent them I don't think they had any problem going to $85K when it was ready to drive. There was no motor in the engine bay and no interior though
Don't EVER drive your Bronco off the pavement with Haggerty...even to a Nat'l Park, camping...

Haggerty will only insure mall crawler Broncos, nothing off road...period. We've gone over this a dozen times... lol
And times have changed as of a year or two ago. Read the latest insurance threads. Doesnt need to be garaged, dont have to pay in full, maintained dirt road use, occasional trip to work and no appraisals needed. Hagerty is killing it now

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
just looked into it and they seem to frown on anything modified still.

Truck and SUV qualifications
Classic trucks and SUVs must meet the following requirements:

15 years and older***
Vehicles in good or better condition
Vehicles under restoration may be considered
Minimum value $3,500
We can consider limited towing and hauling
Extreme off-road modifications such as brush guards, roll bars, tool boxes and lift kits with large off-road tires will not be accepted

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Ignore all that ^ I've issued multiple policies with Hagerty that have roll cages, lifts, 37s, under restoration, etc. Do a quote online and see if they even ask for a photo. They usually don't if its under $40K value

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
If they dont ask for a photo but clearly state they dont cover it, wouldnt that give them an out when it comes time to pay? Did disclose that your bronco was modified? Have you filed a claim on a modified vehicle under these circumstances?

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
If they dont ask for a photo but clearly state they dont cover it, wouldnt that give them an out when it comes time to pay? Did disclose that your bronco was modified? Have you filed a claim on a modified vehicle under these circumstances?
Be as upfront as possible. Submit photos and a mod list and I bet you'll be surprised.

I haven't had them decline a single Bronco yet. I sent in pics with fuel cans on the tire carrier rear bumper, roll cage, prerunner bumpers and 35s. They wrote back and said collect the payment.

Yes one of the first things they ask is stock or modified. Stock is a cheaper rate. Only towing claims so far with Hagerty.

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
im waiting to hear back from hagerty. I heard back from american collectors insurance which is who usaa sent me to. Here's their response.

"My apologies, sir but, unfortunately, we would not have a program for that type of usage either. Most collector insurance carriers specifically exclude usage on jeeps, trucks and vans were the vehicles are used like jeeps, trucks and vans. We just insure show pieces.

Again, my apologies,"

The usage was "besides taking it to car shows it is occasionally driven to work mostly to keep the fluids and tires from sitting too long and camping once or twice a year"
I have 2 other vehicles I insure and use (truck and commuter)

The search continues.

Tugross302

My agent asked for 6 pictures. All four sides, engine, and interior. Vin # and year make and model. Then asked me what value I wanted. 20 minutes later I had insurance from Hagerty. They did not ask how many miles I drive. They did not ask if I keep it in a garage. They did not ask if I drove it off road. My policy does not mention off road anywhere in it. It encourages me to drive it.

retro77

Interesting discussion! I have my bronco insured with State Farm, but I am going to do some more homework regarding insurance.

Question - how does one know the value of a bronco?

it seems that the value could vary greatly depending upon condition, amount of restoration / modification, probably even what state you live in, and maybe other factors (including auction prices??).
According to some of the discussions concerning Hagerty, it seems they would insure for whatever value was produced by the owner without proof, am I reading that correct?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
According to some of the discussions concerning Hagerty, it seems they would insure for whatever value was produced by the owner without proof, am I reading that correct?

Hagerty has a good idea of what Broncos are worth based on their tracking of sales. I expect if you requested an amount of agreed value coverage substantially higher than their range of values, they might request verification. They did not ask me for an appraisal or any proof of condition.

With an agreed value policy they will pay the agreed upon amount if the vehicle is totaled. There is no bickering over value once the policy is in place.

With a stated value policy they will pay up to the stated value. It’s equivalent to an “actual cash value” policy except you are putting a cap on the amount they will pay. In theory that keeps the premiums lower however, If the vehicle is totaled, they pay the lessor of the two amounts. So, they will try to prove the vehicle is worth less (actual cash value), and payout less. It’s up to you to prove it is worth the value stated on the policy. That’s where the appraisal comes in handy.

Their website has some valuation tools that you can use to determine values of vehicles. It will also show historical values and trends.

67RT

Bronco Guru
Hagerty has a good idea of what Broncos are worth based on their tracking of sales. I expect if you requested an amount of agreed value coverage substantially higher than their range of values, they might request verification. They did not ask me for an appraisal or any proof of condition.

With an agreed value policy they will pay the agreed upon amount if the vehicle is totaled. There is no bickering over value once the policy is in place.

With a stated value policy they will pay up to the stated value. It’s equivalent to an “actual cash value” policy except you are putting a cap on the amount they will pay. In theory that keeps the premiums lower however, If the vehicle is totaled, they pay the lessor of the two amounts. So, they will try to prove the vehicle is worth less (actual cash value), and payout less. It’s up to you to prove it is worth the value stated on the policy. That’s where the appraisal comes in handy.

Their website has some valuation tools that you can use to determine values of vehicles. It will also show historical values and trends.

My State Farm policy for my 67 Dodge is Agreed Value. Not all agent/office offer it but mine does..

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Question - how does one know the value of a bronco?

it seems that the value could vary greatly depending upon condition, amount of restoration / modification, probably even what state you live in, and maybe other factors (including auction prices??).
Start a new thread and let us help, we are the experts after all! All the photos and info you have would be great.

Or you could pay someone to get it appraised.

Hagerty is the easiest to work with on determining value. They even have a value guide to go by if you are unsure. Last time I checked Excellent Condition was around $40K and Concourse was around $85K

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
well... looks like Hagerty is getting my money. I tried going through them directly and didn't even get a response. I then contacted a local insurance agent and within 24 hours had quotes from both Grundy and Hagerty. Grundy wanted way to much information on why I might someday drive my bronco...
Hagerty quote... 3 pages. Grundy quote.... 7 pages with the extra 4 pages being about how not to use my bronco.

I'm looking at $274 a year for a $35k agreed value with the "cherished / salvage" option where I can get the bronco back if it ever gets totaled at no cost.

Before I sign and give them my money... anyone have any information I should know before I do? Things to make sure, things to look for?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
JefeAZ-

Haggerty turned my Bronco down. I told them I drove on gravel roads, like to camp, drive it often...

They were VERY explicit saying IF you drive your vehicle more than a few times to non-club sactioned events AND/OR if you drive off asphalt we will NOT insure you.

This wasn't to Haggerty agents, this was talking directly to the Haggerty company AND I talked to the East Coast regional Vice Manager Hoo-Haw who had attended a big Bronco event a couple years ago and told the Bronco owners at the event that he was going to work on insuring more Broncos when he returned from the event. Well, we exchanged several emails, talked on the phone and NO, they will not insure ANY Bronco that even wanders on to a non paved road of any kind... lot's more restrictions but that was the just of it.

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
DO NOT think you're covered because the local agent says you are...it's the COMPANY that determines whether or not to insure your claim...the local agent can promise the moon and you are out of luck... this is what the VP dude told me and the Haggerty Company-not the local reps...

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They won't insure if you drive on gravel? Thats a new one, how about legal forest service roads. I use the term 'road" because thats what it legally is, even if you need 35's and a winch to make it. BTW the 1 mile road to my house is gravel....

Do they really have Bronco guys calling in to claim a paint chip from gravel?

McLeod

You need to READ the policy to see what is excluded and not rely on what someone TELLS you.
Your premiums may differ also based upon what you put in your application. (Your application kind of becomes part of the insurance policy)

My (recent) Hagerty policy has some limiting language, but not nearly as limiting as some of the stories here.

READ the policy and also factor in your mind that an insurance company will always put the screws to you if you ever need to make a claim.

And Hagerty is not the Insurance company, but a middle man. Your policy will tell you who the actual insurance company (underwriter) is, and Hagerty may use more than one insurance underwriter for their products.

You MUST READ your actual policy. If you have no written policy ->> CALL YOUR AGENT!

KyddsPly

Have you looked into American national (AnPac) chrome?

I have great coverage, good mileage, and minimal limitations. They had the best out of the 3 I looked into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
JefeAZ-
Haggerty turned my Bronco down. I told them I drove on gravel roads, like to camp, drive it often...
They were VERY explicit saying IF you drive your vehicle more than a few times to non-club sactioned events AND/OR if you drive off asphalt we will NOT insure you.
This wasn't to Haggerty agents, this was talking directly to the Haggerty company AND I talked to the East Coast regional Vice Manager Hoo-Haw who had attended a big Bronco event a couple years ago and told the Bronco owners at the event that he was going to work on insuring more Broncos when he returned from the event. Well, we exchanged several emails, talked on the phone and NO, they will not insure ANY Bronco that even wanders on to a non paved road of any kind... lot's more restrictions but that was the just of it.
Hagerty has been very clear about no overnight camping, driving it too often and the types of off-pavement driving you would be allowed to do. I have gravel in my driveway, am I not covered pulling out of the garage? I think 2 of your 3 statements is what got it declined.

There is a major difference between sales/underwriting reps and the claims adjuster that translates the policy coverage into a claim settlement. There may also be some differences between east and west coast underwriting rules. We have dirt roads everywhere here, there are still several in the middle of town that has 1M+ population.
DO NOT think you're covered because the local agent says you are...it's the COMPANY that determines whether or not to insure your claim...the local agent can promise the moon and you are out of luck... this is what the VP dude told me and the Haggerty Company-not the local reps...
Its 2019, you can sue for just about anything! Agents have Errors & Omissions Insurance coverage. If you have proof you were misled in regards to coverage, you can file a claim against their E&O policy. In some cases you don't even need proof

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
Called hagerty directly and talked to a rep..

He said that my agent was probably going to claim ignorance if I ever had an issue in the future with a claim. The pictures i sent him clearly showed my which and the guy said that theres no way with a winch youd get covered unless i was willing to sign an agreement that the winch is non functional and only for looks.
He said I have a chance if the truck is spotless and I have less than 6" of lift.

Essentially, if I report a claim with my current possible insurance claim that I'm worried about, it better be for theft because he said they do deny claims for vehicles that were misrepresented during the initial policy writing or seemed to have been modified since the policy was written.

Overall the conversation was positive and I appreciate that they arnt just trying to get people's money. I'll probably call them back and try and direct as that way I can take comfort that some random insurance agent isn't "ignorant" to these issues.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
So, if I’m wheeling and sustain damage then I am not going to make a claim. Therefore my answer to driving off-road is “no”. Is that wrong? That’s all they are worried about I would guess.