• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hagerty Insurance... that was easy

brewchief

So, if I’m wheeling and sustain damage then I am not going to make a claim. Therefore my answer to driving off-road is “no”. Is that wrong? That’s all they are worried about I would guess.
I asked about that and was told no way, if you ever want to use it off road they don't want to insure you. I basically wanted to use them so it was insured when sitting and the little bit of road use, I told them I didn't expect any coverage if used off road. The response I got was that they weren't interested in me as a customer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
This is all very interesting. I'm an insurance agent and have been one for over 26 years here in WA State. I was on a Hagerty webinar not tong ago and asked them specifically about mild off road use as in "beach runs" or "trail rides" and was told that's what these rigs were made to do and they would be fine insuring them as long as the use isn't for hard core off road trails. I have mine insured with them as well as my 74 CJ5 and 77 GMC. My value isn't all that high and I'd never submit a claim for trail damage. :-X

McLeod

Once again, you have to READ the policy.
If the written contract doesn't exclude it you should be covered.

Don't take someone else's word for it, READ, READ, READ...

(I know, it's more fun to b*tch about it on the internet)

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
i worked with my local rep and as i started asking questions about if he submitted pictures to hagerty and I asked about the winch, he got very short with me and just kept saying that if you have a policy than i am covered.
Essentially it got to the point where I didn't like communicating with him and I didn't feel he was being truthful which made me think "if I can't talk to him now, how is it going to be when i'm trying to get a claim filed and there's issues". So essentially I moved on from that rep and i'm going to try with Hagerty direct through the phone. I havn't gotten that far yet but i'm hopeful.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
so I did the online Hagerty form, good rates, and oddly a to good to be true cost on Harley coverage.

Basically for my 2012 HD roadglide, they only want $300 a year where Geico is now charging me $114 a month. Anyone know why they rank it this low?

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
so I did the online Hagerty form, good rates, and oddly a to good to be true cost on Harley coverage.

Basically for my 2012 HD roadglide, they only want $300 a year where Geico is now charging me $114 a month. Anyone know why they rank it this low?
Gotta be a major price difference on the coverages. Check out the prices on Liability/UnInsured/UnderInsured. The use of it is probably rated differently as well. Pleasure vs to work?

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
final update
I finally got around to calling hagerty directly and spoke to a representative. I told him that I have a bronco that I built up as a rock crawler but I don't really use it for that anymore (sadly true with friends and life changes). He asked me how much lift I had, what size tires (5.5 lift and 40" tires) and then asked me where I parked it when not in use (garage) and if everyone in my house with a drivers license had their own car and made sure that the bronco wasn't anyones daily driver. He then asked how many miles I put on it a year and I said less than 500. Put me on hold for 2 minutes and gave me a quote of $480 for an agreed value of 35K.
The call took 10 minutes and they didn't ask for pictures or anymore information than that. Didn't ask what shape it was in, if it had a winch or not and didn't care that I drive it work from time to time.
I hope I never have to make a claim but if I do I feel a lot better knowing I got the insurance directly from them.

Hope this helps someone looking down the road.

destroyer000

i got a quote from my local insurance through hagerty at 40k and it was 673. i called grundy and got 40k coverage for 316 driving it 2500-5k a year full comprehensive. hagerty didnt offer comp. sent pictures 5.5 lift 35s.. but i did find out if its considered a "replica" which they consider a new body with a new vin the price about doubles..

Rob1962

Bronco Guru
So, if I’m wheeling and sustain damage then I am not going to make a claim. Therefore my answer to driving off-road is “no”. Is that wrong? That’s all they are worried about I would guess.

That might seem to make sense in regards to comprehensive part of the coverage. But what if you're wheeling, and something happens that causes property damage or injury to a third party or a passenger. You would not be covered, and that could be financially devastating for you, as well as those who got damaged/injured.

In the big picture, insurance is cheap, it's not worth risking no coverage for those events for which insurance is intended to save a few bucks here and there.

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
I don't think any insurance would cover you while "off roading". Even in OHV parks or even KOA's, once you are off a designated road or parking area attached to a road, you arn't covered.
I'm %90 sure on this so if anyone has any better info, please share. I might be wrong.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't think any insurance would cover you while "off roading".

Last year my son & I wanted to attend the Bronco Takeover & since my 66 wasn't ready we were taking his 2010 Raptor(daily driver). I called my agent & asked if we would be covered while on the Silver Lake sand dunes(Michigan State Park). He contacted the underwriter & was told Yes as long as we weren't doing anything like jumping or driving beyond the obvious limits of the truck. The underwriter did mention that "there is a lot of social media at the dunes & to be aware it could be used in the event a claim was made" My agent also told me the underwriter told him he had a cottage near the dunes & so was very aware. Indecently the state park rangers drive Raptors while patrolling the park. This year my 66 is ready & my agent is getting me a quote & will ask again about coverage on the dunes. I'll try to update when I hear back.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
My experience with Hagerty is that they will cover you off road at a hobby related event. The Bronco Takeover would qualify. As always, they expect you to behave properly. I would be curious to know if they would offer the same coverage if there was no event taking place.

I know they have relaxed their restrictions a lot. Here’s the last I heard from them. https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293849

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I asked Hagerty if my Bronco would be covered at a Bronco/club related event on the sand dunes and their rather empahticn NO was loud and clear...so when I called again a couple years later and asked some VP who had attended a Bronco event on the east coast...he also said NO WAY...

Good luck

nvrstuk

Contributor
My last .02 on this post....never, never think your acting agent is correct....it's what's written on the policyn NEVER what the agent says to you when detemining to pay your claim..

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Seems like you got a good policy and cost to it...

final update
I finally got around to calling hagerty directly and spoke to a representative. I told him that I have a bronco that I built up as a rock crawler but I don't really use it for that anymore (sadly true with friends and life changes). He asked me how much lift I had, what size tires (5.5 lift and 40" tires) and then asked me where I parked it when not in use (garage) and if everyone in my house with a drivers license had their own car and made sure that the bronco wasn't anyones daily driver. He then asked how many miles I put on it a year and I said less than 500. Put me on hold for 2 minutes and gave me a quote of $480 for an agreed value of 35K.
The call took 10 minutes and they didn't ask for pictures or anymore information than that. Didn't ask what shape it was in, if it had a winch or not and didn't care that I drive it work from time to time.
I hope I never have to make a claim but if I do I feel a lot better knowing I got the insurance directly from them.

Hope this helps someone looking down the road.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Well, hope it's that good because it sounds good.

Write down the representatives name, date and time...try to be as specific as possible then read the policy like you're an attorney trying to find a hole in it so you can NOT pay the policy holder ..$35,000...

Good luck-hope it works out great.

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
LOL...

I'm wishing him the best-not recommending highly against it...

...now I'm up to .03 worth... ;)