• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Handling of pitbull rocker bias ply

Bucky66

I'm looking at a set of 37x13.5t15 pitbull rocker tires. The draw back is they are bias ply. I might put 1000 miles a year on the truck if that. What are your experiences with these tires?

Thanks

bstein

I run them on the wagon with TR 17''x8.5 wheels @ 26#. Note in 17'' .... the rig rides, handles better than our 1/2 cab with 35'' radials. The PBR's are not even crazy loud. Over the course of the winter I'm going to switch them to the 1/2 cab and see how they handle on it. The wiggle in the 1/2 cab maybe the 15'' versus the 17'' and side walls.

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
I have the 37x13.5x15 on some trail ready beadlocks. Run fine on the road, but a little loud. I need to buy some wheel spacers to decrease the rub on my cage arms. Best thing I did was take some advice off pirate 4x and put some air soft pellets in each and they balance pretty darn good. I put less than 1000 miles on them a year. Some chunks missing from the rocks but tons of tread depth left and they are maybe 6 or 7 years old.

69 Fl. Bronc

I have the 37x13.5x15 on some trail ready beadlocks. Run fine on the road, but a little loud. I need to buy some wheel spacers to decrease the rub on my cage arms. Best thing I did was take some advice off pirate 4x and put some air soft pellets in each and they balance pretty darn good. I put less than 1000 miles on them a year. Some chunks missing from the rocks but tons of tread depth left and they are maybe 6 or 7 years old.
Do they get flat spots from sitting, or do the pellets help with that?

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
Do they get flat spots from sitting, or do the pellets help with that?

I run 42"s on mine and street drive it a couple times a week. They get flat spots but go away after a couple miles. With that said, they handle just fine on the road, not very noisy. I am not a very picky person when it comes to ride quality though as I have driven stuff like this all my life. If someone else got in it, they would probably think I am crazy

bstein

Yeah they flat spot .. I keep them pretty soft as well. I find that the flat spotting runs out pretty quick and would not be a reason not to buy another set.
4 of my 5 balanced out with weights @ 3-5 oz and the 5th took 20 oz. Yeah 20 is a lot but I have to say that monster mudders in the day where way more that 20oz and they where all weighted heavy.
Of note if you are changing your wheels I would go to 17'' rather than the 15's as 15'' rubber will be getting harder to find in the years to come. Also think the bit more side wall at lower psi doesn't give the wiggle down the road at higher speed. Just my opinion...
Those Guy's Rod's & Customs ( Patrick ) and Larry @ Trail Ready are the fellows that set me up but that was in 2010.

LoneRanger

Contributor
Loc.
Gunshine State
Just have to put my 2 cents in, I have these in 35's (17" rim) but they are radials. They have to be some of the smoothest, quietest tires (given the aggressive nature of the tread) I have ever run! I REALLY want to go up to 37's, and I would go with either bias or radial (whichever I can get cheaper)

L.R.